[Newbie] Another whatsit?

Boojie

Registered
Registered
Another unknown ( to me at least) in the treasure trove of recently acquired tools. Anyone know what this is? It appears to be stamped “Hoffman Engineering”.

951eae97f35510e574771f6aef1b14ee.jpg
0cac5cbcf92fa912406d8a2af1122170.jpg

??? You mean like for a house power meter? Sorry I dont follow.
Could be. All electrical switches that are OSHA approved will have a method for physically locking the power in the off position. So you put the hooks into the locked switch position and then everyone on the crew working applies their own personal lock that only they have the key to. That way the circuit can't be turned back on until all workers are clear of the mechanical parts that cause injuries.

When working on electrical powered machinery you lockout tag out the power source so it cant inadvertently be started. the prongs are positioned through a hole so the switch cant be thrown and a lock is installed in the other holes to lock it up. multiple locks may be installed for each person working on the machinery

When working on electrical powered machinery you lockout tag out the power source so it cant inadvertently be started. the prongs are positioned through a hole so the switch cant be thrown and a lock is installed in the other holes to lock it up. multiple locks may be installed for each person working on the machinery

Thank you all.

That's a "lock out" device, for sure. In all my years working on electrical equipment, I've never seen one that big. I must need to check my glasses... ... But hard to "jimmie"

When I worked at a mine, we had a few that were a lot bigger. For really big jobs (lots of workers), they had some made up of 2 or 3 foot-long pieces of steel cable. Lots of locks could go on those.

When I worked at a mine, we had a few that were a lot bigger. For really big jobs (lots of workers), they had some made up of 2 or 3 foot-long pieces of steel cable. Lots of locks could go on those.
Yep, one of the factories here has some that are made of 1/4" stainless and about 3 feet long. You could easily for 40 or 50 locks on it as it doesn't have holes just a large opening. Crazy thing is they sometimes have to string 2 of them together. No one can switch the power until everyone has unlocked their lock.

Back