Anschutz Barrel Extension Repair

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
At the NRA national matches in Bristol, Indiana the clamping screws for the barrel extension on my Anschutz 1914 .22 match rifle stripped out. At the worst possible time! A quick repair using a longer bolt and a nut was used but it wasn't a permanent repair.

(A barrel extension or "bloop tube" extends the sights out passed the end of the muzzle, allowing for more precise aiming. Although it looks like one, it is not a suppressor and is 100% legal)

The bolts are 10-32 and threaded into aluminum, and over three years of use and they finally stripped. I bored out the stripped hole and inserted a homemade 8mm diameter steel insert. I then did the other side, as preventative maintenance.

Some pictures of the repair:

uploadfromtaptalk1470263717058.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1470263733351.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1470263743735.jpg

If you can't see pictures, please say something!

Andre

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Nice job what kind of front sight do you have. Is it like a Lyman 17A globe type.

That type of device allowed in pistol competition also? Seems it would be a great help. More so even on a pistol.

That type of device allowed in pistol competition also? Seems it would be a great help. More so even on a pistol.

I have not seen them used on pistols, although the barrel length of Free Pistols used in 50 meter competition is not limited, so you can extend the sight radius without a tube. Here is a picture of a Free Pistol:

155.jpg

Thanks Andre, I have seen those used as a rear sight before but never on the front of the barrel.

Thanks Andre, I have seen those used as a rear sight before but never on the front of the barrel.

Yup, I have a front and rear adjustable on both my precision class air rifle and Anschutz .22. When shooting smallbore outdoors I adjust both all the time due to varying light conditions. My rear adjustable iris also has two polarization filters so I can darken the image 10-90 percent when using them in conjunction, and sharpen the target picture at the same time. Like wearing sunglasses.

Back