Anschutz Model 1903 Target W/Weaver T36 scope -Gunbroker Questions

Look into the CMP Forum and try listing it there as well, Good Luck!!

Steve
I hadn't thought of the CMP.
I bought my Garand from them years ago. It's gone now.
Remember the truck loads of Greek surplus 30-06 they had? I wonder if it's gone yet?
Did those 80,000 Garands and carbines ever get processed?

My question, have you any experience with this?
I'm thinking of cutting the barrel. This length is more for bench rest.
What do you think?
If you don't need the extra 200-300 FPS to get your chosen projectile to the target, then there's nothing negative about cutting down the barrel. Just remember that the drop in velocity on the back side will make it harder to hit your target at longer range because the trajectory will send it sailing past your target at a steeper downward angle. On a 400-yard gun, it'll make very little difference, but beyond that you'll really miss the extra barrel.

You are the one to ask,
I also have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux. It has the 28" barrel.
I was shooting at my local club, we had a competition going over a series of Saturdays. My old Winchester 77 firing pin broke.
One of the older guys said I could borrow his CZ, it was in his truck. This way I could finish up that days competition.
Well, needless to say, I fell in love, it was a tack driver plus he had a Leopold on it.
I began the search for it, found one, bought it, then we had the fire.
The only reason I didn't lose it was because it wasn't in the house.
Finally,
My question, have you any experience with this?
I'm thinking of cutting the barrel. This length is more for bench rest.
What do you think?
To be honest I wouldn’t cut that barrel down. The reason for the long barrel is really for increasing the sight distance between the rear sight and the front sight for when shooting iron sights. It makes it more sensitive to being offline of target and will give you a bit better precision comparatively to a shorter barrel. The 452’s are no longer made and are more desirable that the new 457’s and previous 455’s.

If I wanted a shorter barrel I would recommend A) buying another CZ with a shorter barrel and keep the ultra lux or B if you don’t want to invest in both, sell the UL and just buy a shorter version. If it was me and I didn’t want to spend more, I would just keep it as is and put a scope on it if that is what you want to do. You at least know it shoots well. A new one can be a crap shoot.

You at least know it shoots well. A new one can be a crap shoot
You may be right there.
I have a Savage, 93BTVS in 22WMR, stainless bull barrel, that just plain shoots!
If I could see I'd leave the iron sights on. I think I put a Rifleman series of Leopold on the CZ.
I'm happy with the set up.
My son has been bugging me to go out and shoot the rifles. My grandson is 4, maybe a little young yet.
I always enjoyed squirrel hunting, maybe we can find the time this Fall.

I hadn't thought of the CMP.
I bought my Garand from them years ago. It's gone now.
Remember the truck loads of Greek surplus 30-06 they had? I wonder if it's gone yet?
Did those 80,000 Garands and carbines ever get processed?
I am afraid the Greek Ammo has been gone for sometime, I did not get any but some of it was very corroded and green on the outside but I did see some that looked ok. Everything I have is LC.
I have not been to the North Store in OH but I have been to the South Store in Anniston several times, I did pass up a few really Winchester and Remington .22's there that were marked USMC Property they were priced well at that time and prolly have appreciated greatly since then.
I did get one of the new in box Kimber .22, it has never been out of the box. When I shot smallbore I used my 1918 Supermatch.
My father used to talk about the carbine he carried in Nam on his first tour and finally said he wanted one so we drove to Anniston and we both bought one.
I got my first Garand after competing the first time and that was the only reason I went was to meet the requirements, well I shot NRA Highpower for a little over 20yrs. BTW I know others did better than me but my first Garand was 165.00 and took 13months to get, that's like waiting on a new PM lathe now.

I am afraid the Greek Ammo has been gone for sometime, I did not get any but some of it was very corroded and green on the outside but I did see some that looked ok. Everything I have is LC.
I have not been to the North Store in OH but I have been to the South Store in Anniston several times, I did pass up a few really Winchester and Remington .22's there that were marked USMC Property they were priced well at that time and prolly have appreciated greatly since then.
I did get one of the new in box Kimber .22, it has never been out of the box. When I shot smallbore I used my 1918 Supermatch.
My father used to talk about the carbine he carried in Nam on his first tour and finally said he wanted one so we drove to Anniston and we both bought one.
I got my first Garand after competing the first time and that was the only reason I went was to meet the requirements, well I shot NRA Highpower for a little over 20yrs. BTW I know others did better than me but my first Garand was 165.00 and took 13months to get, that's like waiting on a new PM lathe now.
I really enjoyed your response.
When I began reading everything WWII in my early 50’s, I learned more about the Garland.
I wanted to tell everyone I knew about the gas operated bolt. I didn’t know this was common place today.
Still, I loved the design of that rifle.
I think you should pull that Kimber out of the box. It’s a crying shame is what it is.
Go shoot that thing!

Back