antique indexer?

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have what appears to be a horizontal indexer.
It sits on a cast iron base with degree markings so it may be rotated to a desired angle on the vertical axis.
The upper cast body is marked A547B but has no other identification. It has a horizonal hole through which a shaft of about 1 1/2 to 2 inches is mounted that can slide and rotate.
One end of this shaft has a chuck affixed that was made by Almond Mfg. company of Ashburnham Mass. The part number is 208.
Behind the chuck is mounted a disc with 24 square notches.
The main body is split on top so that the shaft can be rotated and moved horizontally but also has a tightening bolt in order to hold the shaft from moving.
There is obvious parts missing namely a means to select a notch on the disc.
Anyone have any idea what exactly this or where could find info on it? Even a picture would work wonders.

Almond made chucks, they may not have made the rest. Here is some info on Almond.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1745

Here is a picture of an Almond chuck that came with a Power King (Atlas) drill press. I acquired the drill press for my wife to use in jewelry making and replaced the chuck with a key-less chuck. I may have sold the Almond, not sure. IMG_2625.JPG

If you are able to post some pictures, I bet that someone here has seen one before.

-brino
I would love to post photos, but i can't seem to get the hang of it. The directions I got from nils dosen't seem to match what i see on the screen.

I would love to post photos, but i can't seem to get the hang of it.

gonzo, sorry to hear you're having trouble. I can think of two things:

1) you may not have a high enough post count to upload pictures
2) maybe something has changed in the upload process.

Hold on and I'll try to find more info for #1 and post how I do it for #2.
Back in a few minutes.

-brino

gonzo,

I had a quick look but could not find the rules about post count required to upload pictures.
I will keep looking.

In the mean time I am going to attempt adding a picture to this post and take a bunch of screen grabs along the way.
I am running the Firefox browser on a Win7 PC, but yours should be similar.

Step 1; hit the button "Upload a File" it should be at the bottom-right of the window you're typing in:
ScreenShot083.jpg

Step 2; a browser pop-up window opens for you to point to the picture you want to upload:
ScreenShot079.jpg
Select the file and hit the "Open" button.
You should see a loading bar pop-up, and then the list of pictures should appear under your post.

Step 3; Put your cursor into the text box where you want the picture, and then add the picture as either a clickable/expandable "Thumbnail" or as "Full Image":
ScreenShot084.jpg

here's a "Thumbnail"
ScreenShot077.jpg

Here's a "Full Image":
ScreenShot077.jpg

EDIT: my two last images appear the same, but I believe that's only because it is a small image, the "thumbnail" view is also the full picture. But the thumbnail is clickable.

I hope that helps.
-brino

Last edited:
Just did a quick test to see if I can upload pics

5 Setting up concentric 1.JPG

Looks like I can, 1968 Suzuki T305 cylinder head set up for some clearancing/combustion chamber modification

Back