Anvil Stand Question

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I put this question here after looking for a better place to file it. Hope it is close enough to Hobby Machining to fit okay.

I adopted an anvil off Craigslist some time ago and it has been setting in the shop floor wanting for a real resting place. It is fairly large with a 6 inch by 13 inch mounting base. I had thought of building a metal stand on wheels for it but really like the idea of an old wooden "stump" that would help keep it quite. This week I finally got a large enough piece from an oak tree when a storm dropped it across a neighbor's drive gate.

Today I trimmed the oak log with the chain saw so that the top is fairly parallel with the bottom and used a wood chisel to level the top surface so the anvil does not rock. I still need to make some means to hold it in place like metal straps, chain or something. The overall height is a little short of what is recommended. I still like the idea of it setting on wheels so it can be moved around easily so that project may be down the road.

I had another piece of wood given to me that was a little too small and it was setting outside in fount of the barn. We have had a lot of rain this year and little mushroom like thingies are growing from it. I mention this because the anvil is likely to be left outside once in a while and get wet. I don't want things growing on this nice piece of wood.

The question is.................what is the best method to treat the wood so that it does not dry too fast, can deal with getting wet, and will look nice?

I have attached a couple of photos below showing the project at the end of the day.

Anvil110Lb-1.jpg Anvil110Lb-2.jpg

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Anvil110Lb-1.jpg Anvil110Lb-2.jpg

Do you know what kind of oak it is? People seem to divide oak into "white" and "red" even though there are a tons of species. I have heard it said that white oak is incredibly rot resistant, whereas red oak will rot if you look at it funny.

I've never personally dealt with a log this size, but if it were me, I'd leave the anvil on the floor for another month to let the log dry a bit, then load it up. If you want to make it waterproof, maybe a simple oil finish.

I know there are some woodworkers on here, I'm guessing they will have more "seasoned" feedback (haha).

I think it depends on the looks or "I dont care" as long as it gets preserved. I have from my grandfather one of those foot powered grinding stone
things,about 2 1/2ft dia stone, lawn art & been dumping drain oil on it for years still standing, been there before me probably before my father. For me, so what the wood is oil black, but its still standing

It looks like white oak to me. You can seal the end grain on both ends with paint or wax. If you bring it inside it will slowly dry and resist checking or slitting with ends sealed.

Mounting anvils was traditionally done on elm for its resistance to splitting with the bottom end buried in the ground. The height would be set to the smiths knuckles with arm hanging at the side.

A sheet of thin copper would cover the top of the oak nicely this is done on marine pilings to good effect.

That is a very nice anvil you have there, how are you going to bolt it down and is the stump to be burried?

Bob

http://www.blksmth.com/Anvi_base_preparation.htm

Thanks for the input of ideas for preserving the anvil stump using oil and/or wax. A friend told me that he thought the Woodcraft store in town had a product just for this. I may have to check next time I go or I just might go the cheap way and use some canning wax the wife has.

Mounting anvils ........... how are you going to bolt it down and is the stump to be burried?

Bob

http://www.blksmth.com/Anvi_base_preparation.htm

Thanks for the link Bob. The information about height is different than what I had heard. The anvil top is about now even with the top knuckle of the fingers. May be close enough unless I use the anvil a lot more than planned. I picked up a couple of short pieces of chain at the scrap yard and am leaning in that direction for holding the anvil down to the stump. No plans to bury the stump. It will be kept handy near or in the shop.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

I think the height thing is a matter of preference low for pounding with a helper and a bit higher for detail work. Let's say knuckle to wrist. Since you are going to keep it portable you can shim it up anyway. Still it is exciting do you have a forge?

bob

Jonathan,

That's a nice forge setup, thanks for posting that picture. Everyone interested in metal work should take a turn at the forge. Blacksmith=toolmaker to all the trades.

Bob

The stump shown is indeed white oak. White oak has closed cells that won't let water penetrate. White oak has open cells. You can take a red oak shingle a foot long and stick one end of it in water,then blow air clear through it to bubble the water.

White oak is good under water ALL the time. If it is under water,then out of water it will rot. It needs to be wet or dry all the time,not a mix of both. It could be used for the bottoms of river boats where it's under water all the time.

How do you know it is white oak from those pictures? i must admit i am skeptical but willing to learn. You must be a Sherllock Holmes or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that i have seen pictures of anvils like that being strapped down to the stump by straps of iron wrapped around the front and back of the anvil and then Lag bolted to the stump. Kind of like how a snow ski is held onto the heal of a boot.

Back