• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Any bearing experts out there

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I’m trying to replace the spindle bearings in my new to me clausing DP, the ones in it are Fafnir 202kdd5 USA, having trouble locating them locally, I found some on eBay but the listing was fafnir 202kdd, no 5 . If there is a cross reference for them would be good , USA or better only
Any one know the codes for what the numbers / letters stand for ?
Thanks

benmychree

John York
I'd think that the 5 refers to the grade of the bearing, 5 is a precision grade, not the highest grade, but more precision than the common grade 3.

dlane

Active User
Makes sense, so if I found some with a higher last # they would be better ?

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Local Bearing supply houses can be really helpful in these situations. They are experts at cross referencing bearings. Saved me a fair amount of $$ on my last transmission rebuild. Better bearings for less money than from the Nissan Dealership.

Looks like there's a company called Bearings, Belts and Chains up in your area of CA. Might be worth swinging by with the bearings you want to replace and see what they recommend?

http://bearingbeltchain.com/locations.html

projectnut

You might try this site:
http://www.locateballbearings.com/

I recently purchased some bearings from them for my Sheldon lathe. They charged less than $20.00 per bearing. When they found out I needed 10 bearings they offered a 20% discount. I found the same bearings on eBay for prices between $65.00 and $135.00.

They are not your typical bearing retailer. They specialize in obsolete, and over stocked inventory. They also buy out bankrupt retailers, and those closing their doors for other reasons.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
202 is a common bearing, similar to 6202. I would consider replacing the bearings with double sealed bearings unless there is some sort of circulating oiling system that lubes the bearings. Go to your local bearing shop with samples, or do your homework and buy them online. If you buy them online, watch out for fakes, junk, and other scams. Doing the work of replacing them is a lot bigger deal than the cost of good bearings, don't cheap out.

JohnG

Active User
Two flute drills are not intended to produce holes which are accurately round or have a precise axial orientation. They are self guiding rather than moving right where a high precision spindle guides them, so they flex rather than break in deep holes. A single point boring head is totally different. The accuracy of the hole it produces, both in terms of its axis and its perimeter, depends mainly on the precision motion of the spindle and the bearings that it spins on.

So, super precision bearings (ABEC 7 or 9) wouldn't do much to improve drilling but might help if you put a boring head on this drill. Bearings are one essential difference between a drill press and a jig borer.

benmychree

John York
Here I go again! you are correct as to the non precise nature of a drill press; I did not pay enough attention to the original post, for some reason, I thought that we were talking about a lathe! Wouldn't be the first time, sure it won't be the last -----

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
This HST Spindle Repair has great resourses on their web site. The following link is just the first place you should go to on the site. Explore the site for a lot of good spindle bearing info.

https://highspeedtechnologies.com/how-to-replace-cnc-spindle-bearings-part-1/

When I was trying to improve the bearing set-up on my Syil CNC (from tapered roller bearings to angular contact bearings) they spent almost an hour on the phone helping me - knowing that I wasn't going to spend a penny with them.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
20 15 10 2 20 10 5 1
There usually significant differences in cost when it comes to bearing classes. I would not be inclined to spend the money for higher class bearings without substantial reason. So unless you are using the drill press as a power head for something other than the factory application, you probably would be hard pressed to differentiate, in operation, between the OEM selection and anything better.

dlane

Active User
Thanks all , I’ll be hunting for them in the morning, hopefully I’ll find them somewhere local,
The local motion industries has them in sks or nsk flavors should I chance them , I don’t plan on doing this again.

Bob Korves

Thanks all , I’ll be hunting for them in the morning, hopefully I’ll find them somewhere local,
The local motion industries has them in sks or nsk flavors should I chance them , I don’t plan on doing this again.
I recommend you get double sealed rather than double shielded. It will keep the dirt and grit out better. In older days when the seals were natural rubber, shields made good sense. Now, with very long lasting synthetic rubber compounds, double sealed make more sense unless you have very high spindle speeds, somewhere over around 5-6000 rpm for a 202.

dlane

Active User
Double sealed sounds like a good idea what would Change in the pt# to designate sealed ? I would think they would be more available.

Bob Korves

Double sealed sounds like a good idea what would Change in the pt# to designate sealed ? I would think they would be more available.
SS stands for double sealed, ZZ stands for double shielded.

dlane

Active User
So a 202kdd5 SS is what I should ask for ?
Thanks Bob

Bob Korves

Timken and Fafnir are now one company. The Timken number for the bearings that came on your machine is 202CC1. The Timken number for the sealed version is 202SS. 202SS is also a widely used industry wide number for that style and size bearing. That number, by itself, does not specify tolerance. Some bearings with that number will be pure junk, others gems. Make sure you get good quality ones. Lots of scammers and counterfeit stuff out there, be careful and/or deal with a trusted supplier.
https://www.pooleyinc.com/pdf/BearingInterchangeGuide7536.pdf page 60.

dlane

Active User
Ok , found them in Chico , shielded not sealed , same as what came out , tried for sealed but no luck .

kd4gij

Active User
The double shielded bearing that Clausing uses is the best choice. sks and nsk are both good bearings.

[6]
[5] [7]