Any bearing experts out there

dlane

Active User
Registered
I’m trying to replace the spindle bearings in my new to me clausing DP, the ones in it are Fafnir 202kdd5 USA, having trouble locating them locally, I found some on eBay but the listing was fafnir 202kdd, no 5 . If there is a cross reference for them would be good , USA or better only
Any one know the codes for what the numbers / letters stand for ?
Thanks

I'd think that the 5 refers to the grade of the bearing, 5 is a precision grade, not the highest grade, but more precision than the common grade 3.

Makes sense, so if I found some with a higher last # they would be better ?

Local Bearing supply houses can be really helpful in these situations. They are experts at cross referencing bearings. Saved me a fair amount of $$ on my last transmission rebuild. Better bearings for less money than from the Nissan Dealership.

Looks like there's a company called Bearings, Belts and Chains up in your area of CA. Might be worth swinging by with the bearings you want to replace and see what they recommend?

http://bearingbeltchain.com/locations.html

You might try this site:
http://www.locateballbearings.com/

I recently purchased some bearings from them for my Sheldon lathe. They charged less than $20.00 per bearing. When they found out I needed 10 bearings they offered a 20% discount. I found the same bearings on eBay for prices between $65.00 and $135.00.

They are not your typical bearing retailer. They specialize in obsolete, and over stocked inventory. They also buy out bankrupt retailers, and those closing their doors for other reasons.

202 is a common bearing, similar to 6202. I would consider replacing the bearings with double sealed bearings unless there is some sort of circulating oiling system that lubes the bearings. Go to your local bearing shop with samples, or do your homework and buy them online. If you buy them online, watch out for fakes, junk, and other scams. Doing the work of replacing them is a lot bigger deal than the cost of good bearings, don't cheap out.

Two flute drills are not intended to produce holes which are accurately round or have a precise axial orientation. They are self guiding rather than moving right where a high precision spindle guides them, so they flex rather than break in deep holes. A single point boring head is totally different. The accuracy of the hole it produces, both in terms of its axis and its perimeter, depends mainly on the precision motion of the spindle and the bearings that it spins on.

So, super precision bearings (ABEC 7 or 9) wouldn't do much to improve drilling but might help if you put a boring head on this drill. Bearings are one essential difference between a drill press and a jig borer.

Here I go again! you are correct as to the non precise nature of a drill press; I did not pay enough attention to the original post, for some reason, I thought that we were talking about a lathe! Wouldn't be the first time, sure it won't be the last -----

This HST Spindle Repair has great resourses on their web site. The following link is just the first place you should go to on the site. Explore the site for a lot of good spindle bearing info.

https://highspeedtechnologies.com/how-to-replace-cnc-spindle-bearings-part-1/

When I was trying to improve the bearing set-up on my Syil CNC (from tapered roller bearings to angular contact bearings) they spent almost an hour on the phone helping me - knowing that I wasn't going to spend a penny with them.

Back