Any Benefit To Having Two Workmate Workbenches?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
So, as i have mentioned a million times in past posts, I have a severe space issue with my 1 car garage. Originally, before the metalworking bug bit me, i was planning on making a woodworking workbench since i was making a woodworking workshop. Now that I am now more focused on metalworking, I've settled on just using my Workmate 400 portable workbench. I don't know how long ago the 400 model was made. Nonetheless, I like how heavy duty and stable it is. I saw on craigslist someone selling the same model workmate for only $15, and it looks to be in extremely good condition and has all 4 cheapo orange bench dogs.
Has anyone on this forum owned 2 workmates where you can share how much or how little having 2 vs 1 helped you with your work?
Thanks!

I bought a second one because the first one is so useful. But one has been enough for what it is designed for and I would not be without one.
The second one has been used as a bench for years now with two plywood shelves added. It is permanently erected beside the lathe holding lube bottles, files, rags, brushes, etc.
I recently turned down a third one for free (estate clearance) because of a space issue. The decision was not easy to make but It was the right one for me.

Last edited:
I have 3. 2 are useful for holding long items, like angle iron or 2X4s. When both are engaged, the 3rd one comes out to do somthing else. I use the 3rd one more often than I thought. My 3rd one was a giveaway.

It was my only portable bench for several years. But it has been replaced with a HF cart I put a top on and a HF hydraulic lift cart. Because my space is so small I need everything on castors and storage the Workmate now sits in the storage shed. It was great until it wasn't.

I imagine a second one would come in handy when the first one is covered in stuff, Likewise a third one, when the first two are covered in junk, etc. etc.

I use two(2) and at times wish I had three(3). I do my own (re)construction work on my house(s)... ... One to hold stationary tools such as a mitre saw and the other to hold the work. Great for holding tooling that is used only occasionally and needs to be moveable. Like the afore-mentioned mitre saw. A scrap of plywood and a scrap of 2x4 and I have a (temporary) work bench.

It was my only portable bench for several years. But it has been replaced with a HF cart I put a top on and a HF hydraulic lift cart. Because my space is so small I need everything on castors and storage the Workmate now sits in the storage shed. It was great until it wasn't.
Understood. Thanks C-Bag

Back