Any Boxford owners out there?

Grandtools

Active User
Registered
I just picked up a Boxford VSL lathe. Interesting machine based on South bend design, but with a lot of improvements. I'm looking for a steady rest, I understand one from a South Bend will fit the bed, but I'm guessing the center height would be a bit off as this is a 10" machine and the 10K swing is less than 10" Anyone know if they were ever sold here in the US? I hardly see anything listed on US ebay for them.

Grand,

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but would suggest you repeat your questions in the parts and tooling classified forum down at the bottom of the Forum list.

Robert D.

Google tools4cheap. He might have some reproductions that'll fit your lathe. Jeff there is a good guy and helpful. He has a lot of southbend stuff.

Google tools4cheap. He might have some reproductions that'll fit your lathe. Jeff there is a good guy and helpful. He has a lot of southbend stuff.

I'm not interested in any reproduction stuff as his stuff is all made in China.

I had a Boxford AUD and currently a Boxford gearhead with a 10 inch swing. I was given a steady rest from a 9 inch swing boxford and I just made a sort of slipper to raise the center height of the rest.

Mike

I had a Boxford AUD and currently a Boxford gearhead with a 10 inch swing. I was given a steady rest from a 9 inch swing boxford and I just made a sort of slipper to raise the center height of the rest.

Mike

I did see a steady on ebay UK, but not sure how much cost or even if the seller would ship it to US. I didn't know they made a gear head, sounds like my kind of machine, I like gears.

Just finished purchasing and moving a Boxford VSL lathe. I plan to power it with a rotary phase converter and 5hp idler motor. I really lucked out on the idler motor, got a new one-in the box for $100 from a food machinery supplier. Now waiting for electrician to come and wire mybasement. Also have a full complement of tooling that came with it including a full set of Burnerd collets and handle that I will probably never use. Anyway, looking forward to getting set up and making chips.

Back