Any difference between the Dorian Red and Grey tool posts...?

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Would anyone happen to know what is the difference between the Red & Grey Dorian tool posts... I see both on the market.

Thanks Mike...

They are the same, Dorian seems to change the color on the QCTP, and sometimes the finish may be off. Some models are red, others are gold or silver/grey. A number of years ago there were quite a few complaints that the body had a bit of a rough finish and I I recall it was because of a certain material lot that they were using. Did not effect the function, and they are very good QCTP's but they are very inconsistent. On things like tool holders, I had ones that came in their kits and often they would all have different dimensions. I would avoid QCTP kits, you are better off to buy what you need, as oppose to what comes in these kits. The parting blade that came with my Dorian was quite wimpy and their threading holder I no longer use.

The last Dorian QCTP I purchased several years ago came with a small ball to tighten down the holders, I ended up turning a larger one which is much more comfortable to use.
20190330_122306.jpg

This was my previous Dorian BXA QCTP, not the larger handle ball.
SDN30BXA.jpg

They are the same, Dorian seems to change the color on the QCTP, and sometimes the finish may be off. Some models are red, others are gold or silver/grey. A number of years ago there were quite a few complaints that the body had a bit of a rough finish and I I recall it was because of a certain material lot that they were using. Did not effect the function, and they are very good QCTP's but they are very inconsistent. On things like tool holders, I had ones that came in their kits and often they would all have different dimensions. I would avoid QCTP kits, you are better off to buy what you need, as oppose to what comes in these kits. The parting blade that came with my Dorian was quite wimpy and their threading holder I no longer use.

The last Dorian QCTP I purchased several years ago came with a small ball to tighten down the holders, I ended up turning a larger one which is much more comfortable to use.
View attachment 440293

View attachment 440294
Would that same don't buy a Dorian tool post in kit form logic also apply to Aloris kits as well...

Thanks Mike...

I do not recommend the kits, you usually end up with something you do not need which offsets any potential savings. The tool holders can usually be purchased at a much lower price than name brand ones and they all work similarly well (there is a previous thread that compared many of them, as well as the accuracy). By buying from one vendor, they should all be consistently the same dimensions (Dorian exempt). The ones from PM are good and reasonably priced, there are also other vendors. Recommendation is to get a good wedge style QCTP, save some money on the various holders as you will need quite a few. I get #2 holders vs. #1 style, the former has a V grove so can be used for smaller boring bars, but also accepts square shanks. I prefer laydown (AG60 insert) threaders, they have worked much better than the vertical carbide insert styles. Difference opinion's as to parting tools, but I had the BXA one from Dorian and it was pitiful.

View attachment 440293

View attachment 440294
nice ball turning tool. Your design?
I use a boring head as well but your handle is far more advance than mine. I had misplaced the pieces of my ball tool parts when I used the boring head for of all things "BORING". Finally found it, and then .... misplaced it. It feels like a clown show around here sometimes.

Ball turner was my own design for the most part, but many variations by others that use a boring head for a ball turner as well as using different types of inserts. I am using a CCGT 32.52 inset, others grind their own HSS. I am able to set the rotational tension with a bronze thrust washer, as well as the stops can be adjusted. If I recall Jim Dawson had previously made one that I used some of his design elements. Overall works very nicely, the boring head was something like $70 so I do not remove it. I added a small set screw to lock it in place. The Dorian QCTP holder was one of those weird cases on Amazon were I purchased it for like $40 (it lists for $220) and then modified it for this application. The Dorian holders are case hardened so a bit difficult to punch through the surface when drilling and milling.

I do not recommend the kits, you usually end up with something you do not need which offsets any potential savings. The tool holders can usually be purchased at a much lower price than name brand ones and they all work similarly well (there is a previous thread that compared many of them, as well as the accuracy). By buying from one vendor, they should all be consistently the same dimensions (Dorian exempt). The ones from PM are good and reasonably priced, there are also other vendors. Recommendation is to get a good wedge style QCTP, save some money on the various holders as you will need quite a few. I get #2 holders vs. #1 style, the former has a V grove so can be used for smaller boring bars, but also accepts square shanks. I prefer laydown (AG60 insert) threaders, they have worked much better than the vertical carbide insert styles. Difference opinion's as to parting tools, but I had the BXA one from Dorian and it was pitiful.
I totally agree with Mark. DO NOT buy the Dorian kits that include a collection of tools along with the QCTP. Instead, buy the Dorian QCTP by itself and then select the tools and QC tool holders you know you need and will be useful.

Back