any difference -wood or metal???

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I've been hunting for a used metal, vertical band saw- and drats. Just missed a very nice, classic, variable speed, museum quality, big iron 16" unit.

Now I am thinking maybe I could more easily pick up a used wood saw and change the pulleys (and blade) to lower the speed - or put on a variable speed D.C. Motor, and be a happy camper.

So is there any actual difference in the construction of wood versus metal bandsaws? Other than speed and type of blade?? Anything that would prevent me from swapping out motors and size of pulley to end up with a durable metal cutting vertical saw???

Thanks
Glenn

Hi Glenn,
generally speaking,
if you use woodworking machinery on metal- you will need to do it gently.
if you slow the saw down or have a variable drive that would be great.
you may consider an equivalent blade speed of somewhere around 200fpm (give or take)

if may just make a nice metal saw!
you may have some limitations but it may just work as needed.

I converted a bandsaw to cut metal. It's not a Doall but it works for me. I used an additional pulley and shaft to get the speed down to 112 FPM. The 2x4s supporting it are attached to a piece of angle iron that has screws to adjust the belt tension.

DSC00238.JPG
Pulley2.jpg
Pulley4.jpg
Pulley3.jpg

A few years back I bought a used wood bandsaw with the intention to do exactly what you have in mind. However, since I was most interested in cutting bigger sheets of 1/2" and thinner (down to 0.060") aluminum into smaller (rectangular) pieces I ended up with a table saw and a pair of Diablo blades (ferrous and non-ferrous). That, along with a sliding "boat" and a HF sawdust catch bag does what I need. I re-sold the band saw without converting it.
I thought I'd throw this in on the off chance that something like this would fill your needs better than a band saw.

That, along with a sliding "boat" and a HF sawdust catch bag does what I need. I re-sold the band saw without converting it.
I thought I'd throw this in on the off chance that something like this would fill your needs better than a band saw.
when you say sliding boat you mean a sled?
Aren't you worried the bag will start on fire from the hot embers of metal? Not trying to be the safety police, just thinking that metal has to be hot as anything when cut at high speed.

Yeah, I guess you call it a sled. I use that and the rip fence, push sticks and stand well to the side! I use a shop vac setup that collects a lot of the shavings.
As for the bag catching on fire I keep that in mind and watch it carefully but I don't see any scorch marks !! (and no sawing wood because of saw dust). Probably relying on luck more than common sense. Maybe I should research that better??

I converted a much broken HF 16" band saw using a 60 :1 gear reduction unit to slow it down. You do not have to baby mine one bit.

"Billy G"

here is the last 1 i built,used a treadmill motor,1.5 hp and i weld my own blades out of bulk material. It works great on wood or metal by varying the dc motor speed. The 1 i built before was a 14", worked great but took up to much of my small floor space.

101_0579.JPG

Kernbigo - nice surface grinder i the background... What make and model is it?

The metal cutting band saws I used when working professionally had a weight system to apply pressure to the work being cut. Inch thick steel cuts quite slowly compared to wood, You could stand there and watch the saw do the work, but not go away, it would rotate/turn on the cut line.
Perhaps 1/4 inch steel goes fast enough you don't need assistance.

Back