any difference -wood or metal???

I happened across this saw couple years ago , it's a Doall band filer converted to a band saw , it's been working good.
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG

It takes 114" blades , only thing wrong with it was the green.

If converting a wood bandsaw to metal cutting were as simple as changing a couple pulleys, manufacturers would not go to the expense of building complex reduction/gear drives.

So I googled around the web this morning and came up with some interesting rpm numbers.

Most people recommend a 30:1 gear reduction motor to bring the typical 14" diameter wood bandsaw machine down to metal cutting 100 SFM.

100 SFM with 14" diameter wheel means the wheel needs to turn 28.28 RPM. That is Slooooowww.

Some guys actually drag their bandsaw over to their lathe and put a v belt on a jack shaft into the lathe chuck and use their headstock to turn the bandsaw that slow.

Couple other people said they were going to convert their bandsaw with a D.C. Variable speed motor, but never reported back how successful they were.

Think I will keep looking - to many projects already not getting done to add a bandsaw conversion to the list, I need the bandsaw to do the projects - not the other way around.

Or maybe I will just break down and get a plasma cutter. Problem solved! :dancing banana:

Glenn

Last edited:
So I googled around the web this morning and came up with some interesting rpm numbers.

Most people recommend a 30:1 gear reduction motor to bring the typical 14" diameter wood bandsaw machine down to metal cutting 100 SFM.

100 SFM with 14" diameter wheel means the wheel needs to turn 28.28 RPM. That is Slooooowww.

Some guys actually drag their bandsaw over to their lathe and put a v belt on a jack shaft into the lathe chuck and use their headstock to turn the bandsaw that slow.

Couple other people said they were going to convert their bandsaw with a D.C. Variable speed motor, but never reported back how successful they were.

Think I will keep looking - to many projects already not getting down to add a bandsaw conversion to the list, I need the bandsaw to do the projects - not the other way around.

Or maybe I will just break down and get a plasma cutter. Problem solved! :dancing banana:

Glenn
Do you need a big Bandsaw now.. I have a portaband that I added a table too. Works real well for most of what I need. Yes, it is limited, but I can take the table off and take it with me.DD3FNl8.jpg
More at:

Jeff, I have one of those small hand held bandsaws from LittleMachine Shops. Sort of a junior Portaband. I don't have an immediate need, just tooling up for a little winter project. Maybe will look at adding a table, just as you show above. Thanks for the idea!

Glenn

well how does my craftsman work great with out that so called 30-1 gear reduction, also the 14" that i sold for lack of room. The surface grinder is a ko lee tool grinder that i turned into a surface grinder, in the picture.

Back