any difference -wood or metal???

I converted a Delta 14" bandsaw with a 12" to 4" pully arrangement. The speed was ok, but I never was able to adjust it so I could cut a straight line, so I got rid of it. I upgraded the crap out of it with ball-bearing blade guides but it never cut anything straight, including wood.

I don't see any magic difference between gear reduction or belt pulleys. They both do the same thing.

I use a 10" non-ferris carbide blade on my Powermatic table saw with a sled to cut aluminum and it works spectacularly well. I never had any problems setting the sawdust inside the cabinet on fire.

delta makes or made a 14" band saw with a reduction gearbox built in it was made to cut wood at 3000 fpm and metal at 150 fpm I have one it works well for cutting both. just don't forget to switch speeds. ruins a good blade fast. I am working on a delta 20" band saw that will go from 50 fpm to 5000 fpm. meant to cut both wood and metal. bill

Sears has had several metal and wood cutting bandsaws over the years.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-18-in-wood-and-metal-cutting/p-00922450000P

The operating principals are the same, just differences for the metals beeing cut.

I picked up a crafts\man 12" wood saw that I was going to slow down for metal, but never got further on that project. The one thing that concerned me, was how long the rubber on the wheels would hold up with the metal shavings getting embedded.

I have since picked up an old carolina bandsaw that sat out in the weather for over ten years. I swapped the motor, had to make a bushing for the idler wheel, and has been working great, even with the rusted old blade that came with it.

My metal cutting vertical bandsaw has rubber tires on it and it's okay. General metal bandsaws have always had rubber tires on them. Unless they have worn out from age, I've never seen damage from chips.

I was given a Delta Milwaukee wood/metal saw. The motor drives the bottom wheel through a single belt for wood, there is a lever to engage the gearbox which I think was something like 19:1. A second four step pulley is used on the input of the gearbox for metal giving a range of speeds down to about 100 fpm.
IMG_1983.jpg

Greg

I converted a Delta 14" bandsaw with a 12" to 4" pully arrangement. The speed was ok, but I never was able to adjust it so I could cut a straight line, so I got rid of it. I upgraded the crap out of it with ball-bearing blade guides but it never cut anything straight, including wood.

I don't see any magic difference between gear reduction or belt pulleys. They both do the same thing.

I use a 10" non-ferris carbide blade on my Powermatic table saw with a sled to cut aluminum and it works spectacularly well. I never had any problems setting the sawdust inside the cabinet on fire.
As a wood worker first and machinist second, there is a lot of work that goes into setting up a saw that won't cut straight. I finally got my delta to track well. I had to remove the alignment pins and twist the top frame, I have a riser. Once this was done I was closer. Then I found I had to ream the adjustable support column as it was not following te blade when you moved it. It pulled away and required constant re-adjustment. Then I shimmed the new reamed hole take up the extra space, I glued brass shims in to fit it. And I had to true the wheels up which were not round and wobbled. A rubber mallet on a stand like a bicycle truing stand. The problem was the wheels caused the blades to move. This on the more expensive USA made band saw.. So much for USA made being better quality. It was awful. All this got me to a great working band saw. My only regret is not going for an 18"-20" machine, with more horse power. I have often needed it, as I resaw a lot of wood. I prefer the small band saw for metal as the speed is more correct, and it works quite well for simple cutting. I don't have a need to cut massive metal stock, and if I did, I would stick it in the reciprocating portable hacksaw.

I was given a Delta Milwaukee wood/metal saw. The motor drives the bottom wheel through a single belt for wood, there is a lever to engage the gearbox which I think was something like 19:1. A second four step pulley is used on the input of the gearbox for metal giving a range of speeds down to about 100 fpm.

Nice unit. That's a keeper.

Greg

Very nice machine - I love older machines with mass, iron and that solid feeling. The only comperable 14" methal saw currently made is the General. Thye've moved casting offshore, but they seem to have retained most of their quality...

Back