any difference -wood or metal???

I once ran across a wood-to-metal bandsaw conversion somewhere on the internet. The guy used a transmission from a riding lawnmower as a gear box - that way he had several speeds to choose from.

At one point several years ago I realized I was using my 4x6 more vertical than horizontal and it just wasn't safe. I decided it was time for a dedicated vertical saw and on our local CL the most frequent for sale was 14". But they were all set up for wood. In further research the consensus seemed to be around 100 fpm and wood is 3000. The beauty of the 14" is there are so many after market parts available. The other bonus is the HF 14" is a direct knockoff and I found one for $50.

I used a double reduction to get it down to speed. The new rubber tires, pulley's and tensioner cost less than $50. Everything else I had laying around like the motor mount from a table saw fail from CL. The most expensive part was the ball bearing head I got off Rockler. But all up it was less than $350 and you can't touch a vertical metal bandsaw for that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks... great video!

Bill Grundy, if you ever have time I would love to see some pics and a little info. On your conversion.
I have an old ,very heavy delta that’s been waiting a couple of years for this.
Thanks ron

So I've been hunting for a used metal, vertical band saw- and drats. Just missed a very nice, classic, variable speed, museum quality, big iron 16" unit.

Now I am thinking maybe I could more easily pick up a used wood saw and change the pulleys (and blade) to lower the speed - or put on a variable speed D.C. Motor, and be a happy camper.

So is there any actual difference in the construction of wood versus metal bandsaws? Other than speed and type of blade?? Anything that would prevent me from swapping out motors and size of pulley to end up with a durable metal cutting vertical saw???

Thanks
Glenn

I don't think there is much difference in the basic design, apart from blade speed and blade tooth pitch, and also blade material. I started using my small Hafco 5 x 5 (Aussie brand, madec in Taiwan, bit like PM ) horizontal blade, intended for metal cutting, to cut small pieces of wood, kindling for the fire last winter.

My machine is variable speed, but even on the fastest it is way too slow, but having said that it still cuts the wood quite well also the coarsest blade I had was 8TPI, again a metal cutting blade. I have since been to the local blade guy and had him make me a blade, for cutting wood, to fit my machine. It works quite well. At this stage I'm not even going to bother trying to speed it up.

I'm also in the process of modifying the saw so I can use it as a vertical blade as well as horizontal, and will fit a small table for when the blade is vertical, Yes, yes, I know, pictures. You'll have to wait until I've got something to photograph.

Of course with your woodworking saw you will have to slow it down quite a bit, and get a local blade guy to make you some blades for cutting metal. You'll probably need 3 blades coarse, medium and fine, a bit like a set of hacksaw blades.

Of coarse by slowing down with pulleys you'll have plenty of tourque for cutting metal. Whereas the speed reduction on the motor might leave you shy on tourque when the going gets tough. A simple two speed pulley should be all you need to use. Get on to it, you will not regret it.

So I've been hunting for a used metal, vertical band saw- and drats. Just missed a very nice, classic, variable speed, museum quality, big iron 16" unit.

Now I am thinking maybe I could more easily pick up a used wood saw and change the pulleys (and blade) to lower the speed - or put on a variable speed D.C. Motor, and be a happy camper.

So is there any actual difference in the construction of wood versus metal bandsaws? Other than speed and type of blade?? Anything that would prevent me from swapping out motors and size of pulley to end up with a durable metal cutting vertical saw???

Thanks
Glenn

Hello Glenn..
The tension on the blade for a metal cutting band saw is Much higher then a wood one to keep the blade running strait..

I use to use a jet wet metal cutting band saw, it was a great machine could be used in both vertical and horizontal position, quality blades lasted a long time with coolant...

Nowadays I use a carbide blade chop saw for cutting, light weight, quick setup & saves allot of space.. And its fast where as the band saw was slow.
the blades are pricey and don't last as long as a band saw blade, but it cuts dead strait every time.

Many companies make them - Evolution has a really cheap one that will work fine... just take cuts slow, the big difference between the cheap ones and higher price ones, is there more industrial.

I use this 14" CSM14MB Metal Devil. Love it. Cuts everything without changing the blade.
Chopy.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks
Glenn

Also Glenn be careful when looking at woodworking band saws, Many don't use ball bearing guides, they will sometimes use plastic guide blocks that tend to melt - if you like a saw ( good deal ) you can just add some roller bearings guides for 150.00...

Good thread, the carter video was good for information I did not know, ordering some roller guides and urethane tires for the old Taiwan jet 14" bandsaw. Also went thru a number of modification videos on utube . Should help out a bunch.
Good thread with some excellent information.

Back