[4]

Any Experience With Toolmex Taps?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ccater1

Registered
Thinking about purchasing Toolmex taps. Anyone have any experience with these? The taps I'm looking at are HSS, straight flute. I wish they had 3 flute taps, but the smaller taps all have 4 flutes, or at least that's what I'm seeing. They also have some spiral flute HSS taps, but they offer 3 packs of the straight flute taps (taper, plug and bottoming), and do not offer that for spiral flute version. I have some Toolmex tooling for my lathe, and have been satisfied with it. I'm only a hobbyist, so these taps will only see occasional use. I will be using a guide to keep the tap straight. Screenshot of website below.
Thanks,

Casey

1532351973652.png

1532352021556.png

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have no experience with their taps, but I did buy one of their threading dies. I've only used it once, but was just fine.
I would buy from them again.

mksj

Active User
I have used their taps, find them to work well, no issues. I also pick up mainstream taps like Cleveland, OSG, etc. and they work much better then the ACE hardware or Irwin types. I will often buy the 3 tap sets also. I do a lot of hand/machine tapping, so the taps wear out/fatigue and start to twist or get dull, I try to replace them before they break. You might also check Suncoast Tools if you are looking for a specific type/style, have purchased taps from them as well as other tooling. I have given up on MSC, pricing is too high, but have a wide range of stock. One last place is purchasing NOS taps US or Japanese stock, also have had good results with these. I am just starting to use spiral taps for power tapping.
https://www.suncoasttools.com/

ccater1

Registered
I have no experience with their taps, but I did buy one of their threading dies. I've only used it once, but was just fine.
I would buy from them again.
Thanks, glad to hear you are happy with their product.

I have used their taps, find them to work well, no issues. I also pick up mainstream taps like Cleveland, OSG, etc. and they work much better then the ACE hardware or Irwin types. I will often buy the 3 tap sets also. I do a lot of hand/machine tapping, so the taps wear out/fatigue and start to twist or get dull, I try to replace them before they break. You might also check Suncoast Tools if you are looking for a specific type/style, have purchased taps from them as well as other tooling. I have given up on MSC, pricing is too high, but have a wide range of stock. One last place is purchasing NOS taps US or Japanese stock, also have had good results with these. I am just starting to use spiral taps for power tapping.
https://www.suncoasttools.com/
Thanks for the info. Do you use Toolmex 4 flute straight or their spiral taps? I assume 4 flute, straight, since you said you prefer the 3 pack as well, but want to confirm. I've bought from Suncoast before. I'll take a look at their site. I think they sell Toolmex if I'm not mistaken. I feel the same as you towards MSC. You have to use their huge discount codes, and it's still not really competitive pricing.

Thanks!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Why not some Balax forming taps ,wink wink.

[6]
[5] [7]