Any good places for online building plans?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
Building a detached garage at new house. I've already contacted a few local design/drafting companies. I'm also interested in buying plans from a reputable online design/drafting co.

Anybody have first hand experience with any online plans?

I think any reputable contractor would be able to lay out a garage for you without needing a design, provided you are specific on what you want. Certainly doesn't hurt to check references on the contractor, and you want the design details included in the cost quote. There tends to be local variation in code requirements based on climate, etc, so canned designs are not universal. Also a canned design will rarely call out window or garage door quality for example. Doesn't hurt to wander the local lumber yard/box store and have some spec's in hand.

Last edited:
Agree on the reputable contractor. Have spoken to a couple good general contractors. Both said they need a good plan with specs to give an accurate quote.
What I found appealing was a materials list offered with one of the companies online plans. So was interested in comparing that materials list to what the local building materials suppliers come up with. Easier to get apple to apple price quotes from the contractors.

Have a couple calls out to local designers. Hope to hear back from them next week. A materials list is one of the things will ask for.

No one used a set of building plans purchased from online?

Be certain the plans are pre-engineered to YOUR ADDRESS!

Different places have different local things that can create issues.

There should be builders who specialize in this.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Agreed. County requirements to get a building permit are fairly straight forward on outbuildings. More so if there is no living area as part of the design. But it needs to be stamped by designer etc licensed in my state.

But it needs to be stamped by designer etc licensed in my state.
Then you're pretty much going to have to pay a local designer, one way or another, so you might as well go that route. Many states allow structures under some size limit (like 3000 sq ft) to not require a stamped plan, doesn't sound like Missouri works that way.

Jump on Menards website. You can design a building, check cost get a bill of materials.
You still have to do whatever the code and the county permit BUT this is great to visualize your building, compare post and beam to stick framing....and see what each change cost.
Good Luck

No doubt the process is very different depending on your country, state, and perhaps even county? I'm in Europe (Poland) and I've built a house and a couple of buildings using online purchased plans and self-made plans(this is allowed for certain non-residential buildings up to certain size around here). I think it is quite interesting to compare similarities and differences in how it's done in other placed so let me briefly describe my experience.

First, the house. When I was buying the land, I made sure local council is fine with converting it from farmland to residential (the soil has to be pretty bad to allow it) and I got it in writing specifying certain general limits of what I can build there before I pulled the trigger on the purchase. Buying land that is not in much demand helps in this as there is no pressure on the buyer.

Then I went to a local website that sells house plans made up by certified architects and I bought one that I liked and it matched the council requirements (certain roof shape and color etc).

Then I had to hire a land surveyor to make a very detailed map of my land, and surrounding area, do research to discover any old underground systems and put it on the map etc. This map gets filled in a national database and any future neighbor will be able to use it for free, but me being the first to build around here I had to pay for it.

Then, with map in hand I had to hire an architect to "adjust the house plans to the site". The architect is supposed to take soil conditions, local site and everything else into account, they are supposed to redo any structural calculations and they sign the plan validity so if the house falls down they're on the hook. As you can imagine it costs more than the purchase cost of the plans online. But it still is much cheaper than custom drafted plans.

Then you go through the permit process which is really just a formality and you hire a company to build it or you hire a certified residential building manager directly and a different crew for each stage. At the end your land surveyor has to come over and certify you built the house where you should. The end.

Then the self-drawn-plan buildings. I wanted to build a workshop (of course). But I couldn't afford to go through the whole normal process again so I decided to limit it to 35sq meters (380sq ft). This way I didn't need any permits, no architect, no certified builder etc. I still would be bound by codes, but it is all on me.

I've drawn it myself. I looked up codes for the required roof slope (this being single slope roof). I looked up snow loads and wind loads. Calculation methods for timber thicknesses and spans. I already had the house plans I could use for reference as all the calculations were shown in there step by step(for concrete not wood, but still it showed me how it should be done). So I was fairly confident in that my workshop shouldn't fall down on my head.

So being short on cash I hired a crew that was very cheap, but never built a building before... I had to supervise them all the time, but in general I did get a nice wooden post beam constructed workshop out of it for less than half of the usual per unit area price.

So here you have two very different approaches to build on the same piece of land.

Back