Any home brewers around here?

I'm seriously considering the Mr Beer kit, but with all of the other issues I am contending with I might not be able to swing it. Kidney failure dictates a very low liquid intake so I would have to be extremely carefull if I am able to do it at all. May not be worth the effort since I wont be able to just pop a couple and enjoy. It would boil down to calculating my intake and that takes the spontanaity out of it as well as a certain amount of enjoyment. I'll just have to see.
Bob

I started extract brewing in 89. Had a little hiatus when the kids were born but I'm doing all grain now. If you need and help/advice, just ask

TLGriff and Nolo,

You guys have convinced me. I ordered a MR Beer premium kit capable of 2 1/2 gallon batches with 2 refills and bottles yesterday. I think the seller realized his error because he relisted the item after I bought from 39.00 to 59.00 in one day. I gues I did end up getting a great deal afterall. If this turns into an epic fail I only loose a little pocket money and learn a lesson. If it works out OK then more the better. Either way I'll let you guys know in about a month give or take shipping time.

Bob

Ed,

I read a bunch of revues on the Mr Beer system and they either love it or hate it doesn't seem to be much of an in-between on this one. Look around carefully and there are good deals available. The Mr beer site shows the MSRP of each kit variation and then you can shop with that knowledge. I recomend the kits that include the bottles since getting good clean reusable bottles may be a sanitation/capping (good seal) issue. Also look out for expired kits especially on Ebay, the liquid in the cans becomes darker and the yeast may not be as active, otherwise come on get in the pool with us so we can all compare notes. I know I am looking forward to the kit arriving from California some time later next week, and if you and the OP get involved we can start a home brew forum site to go with H_M....

Bob

Ed,

Oh yeah the selection of refill kits is amazing just from Mr Beer. Then if you look at the other refill kits for the 5 and 6.5 brewers it is almost endless. I was thinking of getting a 5 gallon kit and doing it in a 2.5 gallon fermentor. It would be the same as adding extra fermentables and sugars to boost the alcohol volume. So I have already read too much and am already starting to tinker with recipes and stuff. I'm one of those who just cannot leave well enough alone. The seller I got my kit from added 20.00 to the price but it is still the 70 dollar kit so I came out like a bandit till he realized what he had done. I think Mr Beer is even having a sale and Amazon is shipping free on 25.00+ orders. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Bob

I find making my own beer takes up to much of my drinking time, so I just buy it all ready made LOL:drink:
shopdoor001.jpg

shopdoor001.jpg

shopdoor001.jpg

I was gonna say something about your door ornament, but I was too busy drooling over your shop and watch dog. That is a good lookin dog from what I could see in the shop pics. The wifer and I save big dogs from the pound so they don't get euthanzied. At one time we were up to 6 head of dog and not the first one was less than a hundred pounds. When we went to bed at night our King and Queen pushed together weighed just short of a half ton. All of them had their particular spot and had to get in the bed in the right order or a fight was coming. We blew kisses or flicked em like a booger to say goodnight. We are down to two old mutts now. One is a dobermut and the other is a golden retriever, both of em are at least 12 years old now. The golden is getting arthritis so she will probably be the next to go. The dobermutt just keeps on tickin. She nurse maids me if I sleep too long or take too long of a nap. To watch her do it you woould think she had been trained. She stays in arms length at al ltimes and gets between me and whoever comes to visit and lays beside the wheel chair or couch wherever I am. She's a pretty good old dog to be a pound mutt that almost didn't make it through house breaking. Have a great christmas and a super good New Year.
Your freind and brother in arms.

Bob

CAUTION: Do not operate heavy machinery while reading this post. View attachment 31629

I've been brewing my own for the last 7 or 8 years and just bottled a batch of Porter for the cold winter months. I used home grown hops and although I normally culture my own yeast, I got lazy this time and used store bought. My favorite recipes include an Irish Ale (7%ABV), a killer IPA and an Imperial Stout (next on the list). So far I've stuck to using extracts but am gearing up for all grain as soon as I can build the necessary equipment.

Any other home brewers around here?

Tom
''

I am! I've been home brewing for about 15 years. All that time, I've been trying to successfully brew a Thomas Hardy Ale clone with no luck. Either it has no body, stops fermenting, or is way too hoppy...

John

Wow, it's great to see such enthusiasm for homebrewing! But before spending any of your hard earned cash on anything brewing related, I would suggest picking up two books; "How to Brew" by the John Palmer and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. Both are written for the novice home brewer and do a great job of explaining the basics of brewing at home on a minimum budget. They are also chocked full of proven recipes for great beers. The nice thing about home brewing is that it requires little in the form of specialized equipment. Good beer can be produced with little more than a couple five gallon plastic buckets, one of those enameled canning pots and a few other common kitchen items or things commonly found in the local hardware store.

Tom

''

I am! I've been home brewing for about 15 years. All that time, I've been trying to successfully brew a Thomas Hardy Ale clone with no luck. Either it has no body, stops fermenting, or is way too hoppy...

John

John,

I assume you've chosen a yeast than can survive in a high alcohol environment. Whitelabs and Wyeast both make high gravity yeasts.

Tom

Back