[4]

Any idea what make and model milling machine this is?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

chadr

Registered
The seller listed it as a drill press, but it looks any other milling machines I've seen before. I assume they just aren't sure what it is.

Any idea what make and model milling machine this is? Thank you.

Screenshot_20180502-180811.png

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Ah, the art-deco top cover part is familiar- give me a second I'll remember...I'm thinking jig borer..

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
I agree, it's a jig borer, not a mill, although some say, they can be used for light milling. Might be nice if she isn't rusted too badly.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Linley?

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Yes, I concur, looks like a jig bore machine.

vtcnc

Administrator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

chadr

Registered
That is crazy that you guys have already posted the specification and PDF for this machine. If it's working and not too bad out of shape what is a fair price for such a machine? Referring to the one in the picture that I sent of course which I know there's not a whole lot of detail there. Thank you very much to you all for your responses and your time. Chad

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
The machine in the picture is old and appears tired if not clapped out. It does not appear to come with the special added equipment to make it a jig borer. The literature that vtcnc posted is from October of 1941. I am not saying that it could not be restored to its former self, but what we are looking at in the photo is a tired old machine that might be used as a drill press or a 'very' light duty milling machine. It is certainly no equal to a well cared for Moore jig borer, by a long shot.

Old junk

Registered
Unfortunately only worth a few hundred at best.

vtcnc

Administrator
Staff member
I'd offer him a couple hundred for it if you are desperate for something to drill or do light milling with. Jig borers are made for vertical loads and not side loading (much). That's why the spec sheet calls it a "light milling" machine.

Otherwise, put your $600 to something beefier.

RobertHaas

Registered
A little restoration work and you have yourself one kick butt drill press.

I have a Jet drill press parked next to my mill with a quality XY vise mounted to it. I find I fire it up a lot more often then the mill for day to day fabrication projects. If I had that little cutey running true the Jet would be on Craigslist tomorrow.

chadr

Registered
I bought the machine and a lot of tools they were selling. It needs a bit of cleaning and painting but first I want to get it moving in all directions smoothly - one of the gibs is not being held well and binds moving back/forth as it gets out of position.

Any idea what the yellow handle facing forward should do? I assume it should raise/lower the head but it doesn't do that nor does it have any friction. Perhap some rubber wheel in there is attached to it that is supposed to move it up/down on the column. The counter weight was not connected so surely that needs to be put back into position. I'll need to run a new cable and get the counter weight back into position. I'd like to see how it was originally connected to the up/down head. I see where it must connect but it seems odd to have it there. I'll have to add some pictures later so you all can see what I'm talking about.

chadr

Registered
Looking at the pdf posted above it is clear where the chain connects, so disregard that question. The yellow handle must be the up/down movement and whatever creates the friction is not longer there.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
The yellow wheel is probably fine feed and will free float when disengaged.

chadr

Registered
Thanks - that was correct, the knob to engage the wheel feed was very stubborn but with a lot of movement back and forth it is now freed up enough to work. Now I only need to figure out how to lock the saddle gib in position. I removed an allen bolt at the front edge of the gib which I thought should hold the gib in place but the washer is way to thin to fit into the groove to really lock the gib in place. I'll have to remove the allen bolt for the table to see if it has a different washer or allen bolt arrangement.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
You've got good advise I agree it's a jig bore not a true heavy duty mill. But they can be very accurate.

[6]
[5] [7]