Any idea what make and model milling machine this is?

I'd offer him a couple hundred for it if you are desperate for something to drill or do light milling with. Jig borers are made for vertical loads and not side loading (much). That's why the spec sheet calls it a "light milling" machine.

Otherwise, put your $600 to something beefier.

A little restoration work and you have yourself one kick butt drill press.

I have a Jet drill press parked next to my mill with a quality XY vise mounted to it. I find I fire it up a lot more often then the mill for day to day fabrication projects. If I had that little cutey running true the Jet would be on Craigslist tomorrow.

I bought the machine and a lot of tools they were selling. It needs a bit of cleaning and painting but first I want to get it moving in all directions smoothly - one of the gibs is not being held well and binds moving back/forth as it gets out of position.

Any idea what the yellow handle facing forward should do? I assume it should raise/lower the head but it doesn't do that nor does it have any friction. Perhap some rubber wheel in there is attached to it that is supposed to move it up/down on the column. The counter weight was not connected so surely that needs to be put back into position. I'll need to run a new cable and get the counter weight back into position. I'd like to see how it was originally connected to the up/down head. I see where it must connect but it seems odd to have it there. I'll have to add some pictures later so you all can see what I'm talking about.

Looking at the pdf posted above it is clear where the chain connects, so disregard that question. The yellow handle must be the up/down movement and whatever creates the friction is not longer there.

The yellow wheel is probably fine feed and will free float when disengaged.

Thanks - that was correct, the knob to engage the wheel feed was very stubborn but with a lot of movement back and forth it is now freed up enough to work. Now I only need to figure out how to lock the saddle gib in position. I removed an allen bolt at the front edge of the gib which I thought should hold the gib in place but the washer is way to thin to fit into the groove to really lock the gib in place. I'll have to remove the allen bolt for the table to see if it has a different washer or allen bolt arrangement.

You've got good advise I agree it's a jig bore not a true heavy duty mill. But they can be very accurate.

I've been using this machine mostly with a 1/8" milling bit on plastic, but in the last few days I did machine a 3/4" hex into a power steering rack shaft. The metal was quite hard compared to anything else I've machined do far, but a 1/2" carbide bit was able to take the .025 passes fairly easily. I created more tiny pieces of dust rather than chips with this metal. The carbide was faintly glowing a little red during the cuts. I didn't use any coolant but on a few cuts I use tap magic but then decided not to bother since I wasn't looking for a flawless finish.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Back