• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Any Idea What This Is

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have feeling it has something to do with watches. That's why I placed it here.
1520609925835.png

4ssss

Registered
Registered
You're right. I believe it's used for pressing gears and pins.

ddickey

I wonder it's worth.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
It's called a "staking set". Fleabay would be a good price guide.

ddickey

Looks like ~ $100-$200

GinStC

Registered
Registered
More for clock making I think. Staking, peening, crimping holes smaller, pressing gears onto shafts, etc. I paid CA$35 at a local auction for mine.

E.g. the rounded ones on far right are great for pinching a hole smaller to make a pin tighter fit.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Used primarily for the Watchmaker. The size of the stakes and dies are too small for most clock making/clock repairing…but not all. The tooling is a VERY hard steel. Use caution or you can easily fracture the business ends. They can break like glass. Don’t ask me how I know this! Anybody doing serious watch repair would definitely need one of these. In my parts they do not command a lot of money. It’s a shame, they are made of extreme quality. And if a watchmaker they are like of your hands. I kinda fancy the Levin made...Dave

Last edited:

David S

Active User
Yes this is a staking set. And it is more frequently used by watch repairers, but certainly can be used for clock repair as well if the wheels with arbours can fit within the Z axis clearance. All of the parts in the front are called stumps and are used to support various watch parts.

There are a few for sale here: http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/tools.html#staking

David

ddickey

This one may be a Kendrick & Davis

Dave Smith

Active User
how did you end up with it?---every shop should have one--I think I have two in my shop--Dave

NEL957

Active User
Registered
Stacking tool is a must if you are going to do clock and watch repair. Replacing pivots is impossible with a tool to drive dead straight, it must go on straight to get it as tight as possible. I would call that pictured as one of the better and quite complete, just what one needs. And a little bit better than $200.00
Nelson

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
Learned something new today. Literally this week I was curious how Duncan pressed gears onto shafts for the 1950s parking meters. Now I have a new addition to my tool list.

[6]
[5] [7]