Any Idea What This Is

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have feeling it has something to do with watches. That's why I placed it here.
1520609925835.png

You're right. I believe it's used for pressing gears and pins.

It's called a "staking set". Fleabay would be a good price guide.

Looks like ~ $100-$200

More for clock making I think. Staking, peening, crimping holes smaller, pressing gears onto shafts, etc. I paid CA$35 at a local auction for mine.

E.g. the rounded ones on far right are great for pinching a hole smaller to make a pin tighter fit.

Used primarily for the Watchmaker. The size of the stakes and dies are too small for most clock making/clock repairing…but not all. The tooling is a VERY hard steel. Use caution or you can easily fracture the business ends. They can break like glass. Don’t ask me how I know this! Anybody doing serious watch repair would definitely need one of these. In my parts they do not command a lot of money. It’s a shame, they are made of extreme quality. And if a watchmaker they are like of your hands. I kinda fancy the Levin made...Dave

Last edited:
Yes this is a staking set. And it is more frequently used by watch repairers, but certainly can be used for clock repair as well if the wheels with arbours can fit within the Z axis clearance. All of the parts in the front are called stumps and are used to support various watch parts.

There are a few for sale here: http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/tools.html#staking

David

This one may be a Kendrick & Davis

how did you end up with it?---every shop should have one--I think I have two in my shop--Dave

Back