Any idea what this tool is?

SRDC

Registered
Registered
Picked up a lot of random tooling - some useful, some different than the stuff I usually work with.

I am having trouble identifying this particular tool. It is just under 3 inches in diameter, 3 inches tall, with a 1in diameter x 2.25in shank.
3 lines of markings on the shank:
28P BACD2023
442 HSS
NTS 063097

It has 8 'flutes'. My first guess was a tap for a really odd thread, but it doesn't look like it spirals. It seems too fine to be a milling cutter for side cutting. Google was singularly unhelpful. If it helps, much of the tooling seemed to revolve around CAT50 tooling for oilfield machining.

Thanks!
Timothy

IMG_6201.JPG

IMG_6202.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

IMG_6205.JPG

?? 28 TPI thread cutting hob ?? But what kind of machine it fits I don't know. I have a bunch like it but made to fit on an arbor. I'll sell them by the pound, cheap

I doubt that came from any oilfield manufacturing. If it did, that engineer is unemployed. Aircraft industry would be more likely or military. Where about did the tooling come from?

As near as I can tell from Googling, it's a serration cutter. Like 4gsr said, most likely from military or aircraft industry. Hopefully, somebody who has used one will chirp and educate us (me) on its use.

Tom

I doubt that came from any oilfield manufacturing. If it did, that engineer is unemployed. Aircraft industry would be more likely or military. Where about did the tooling come from?
Looks a lot like gun barrel rifling.

That actually makes more sense...it came from a shop in Central Texas that went out of business. We just picked up a couple lots of random tooling. Some of it looked like oilfield stuff, but some of it could definitely have been aero or military.

Back