Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Rata222

Registered
Registered
Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Has anyone heard of items needed, that can be made in the hobby machine shop. I looked on the internet. Some suggested a need for 3D printed ventilator parts. My girlfriend is sewing masks.

I tried calling the county health department – but being retired :) - I forgot it was Saturday

I am not always the most ambitious guy....but, I have all these machines - seems like commodity that could be put to good use - to help those helping us.

Thanks – and stay healthy.

Jim

During these times I really think the best use of our machines is to keep us occupied while we are in self quarietene. We can't crank up and handle the volume of production needed to make a meaningful difference. If the situation degrades to the point that repair parts and replacements for medical equipment need to be handled at the home shop level, then we have some real problems.

I really think the way we can best help out at this time is to volunteer to do whatever the local community organizations could use some help with. And just as important is to not get sick so you don't use resources that are needed for the less fortunate.

During these times I really think the best use of our machines is to keep us occupied while we are in self quarietene. We can't crank up and handle the volume of production needed to make a meaningful difference. If the situation degrades to the point that repair parts and replacements for medical equipment need to be handled at the home shop level, then we have some real problems.

I dont feel that way at all. Any difference is a meaningful difference - if there is a need. We do have "some real problems."
The hospitals are asking for donation of home sewn masks made to their specs. My girlfriend and a group of friends have been very busy producing masks. My small contribution was being able to sharpen scissors in the shop for a few of them.

I really think the way we can best help out at this time is to volunteer to do whatever the local community organizations could use some help with. And just as important is to not get sick so you don't use resources that are needed for the less fortunate.
I agree to all that. We also have unique machines and skills to offer -and perhaps could contribute in ways others cant.

Stay Healthy
Jim

Last edited:
Good thought :encourage:

One more thought here.
While I have had more shop time during this crisis, one thing that I do want to avoid is a trip to the emergency room. In the past 20 years I've been there twice once for a couple of stitches and once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!

Off topic, but... If healthy persons wore a properly respirator with HEPA filters would that offer any protection from covid19?

Off topic, but... If healthy persons wore a properly respirator with HEPA filters would that offer any protection from covid19?

Not really. Unless it's fitted properly and you sterilise the it every time you remove and refit it. Also offers no protection from touching your eyes, and most have an exhalation valve which bypasses the filters and offers no protecting for anybody else. Defining healthy is difficult as a great many people carry it but display no symptoms.
I've seen lots of people walking around in poorly fitting surgical masks too, which do more harm than good when they're fiddling with their faces constantly because it doesn't fit. As with many things in life: a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

As Jim pointed out, realistically you can't make a difference to the function of a large hospital as they gear up to save lives of people suffering severe effects of the Covid virus. However, you absolutely can make a difference to your community - which will be suffering in countless ways. Your example of sharpening the scissors is an excellent example. Fix your neighbor's rototiller (probably lots more gardening happening this year), make and fix stuff for farmers in your area (they always need stuff fixed) - anything you do to help your local community will get the whole community back on track sooner. Do it for free and you'll get lots of business.

Repairing old junk may not be as cool as making ventilators to save people's lives - leave the health stuff to the hospitals (they have almost unlimited resources - except for time). If you get together (on-line) with other handy people in your area I'll bet you could set up to repair small tools, machines, appliances, equipment etc. If a hospital needs something manufactured, they will go to a professional shop. However, a professional shop is not going to spend a day repairing a machine that only costs a few hundred bucks new. Me, on the otherhand, I don't hesitate to spend many hours to avoid spending those few hundred bucks.

Help your local community for free - in all likelihood it will bring you benefits for years to come.

I'd look at some of your local businesses that are staying open as see what they might need for their employees that you could make in the shop.

One possible example locally is the grocery stores have installed plexiglass sneeze guards at the check out lines to give the clerks a small amount of added protection. Rather than complex items that require certifications, think small. If you had to work with the public what might help you limit contact? Handling money and credit cards is a big exposure for them.

One more thought here.
While I have had more shop time during this crisis, one thing that I do want to avoid is a trip to the emergency room. In the past 20 years I've been there twice once for a couple of stitches and once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!

Yes, anything you can do to not create additional work is a plus.

I'll be kind of curious to see when this is all done if the stay at home orders has an effect in other death numbers. I could definitely see a decrease in motor vehicle deaths, but also an increase in drug and alcohol related as well as suicides with people bored at home, and potentially out of work.

We are lucky to have hobbies to keep us occupied, many don't. I know a few retired people who went back to work, not for the money but simply because they didn't know what to do except go to work.

I also expect a significant rise in toilet paper related accidents. :grin:

Back