Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Becoming infected by COVID-19 is a matter of probabilities. There is a number of things that all have to come together in order for one to be infected. The number of contagious people in your are, your proximity to them, the length of time that one is exposed, and the degree of PPE that one has all have a contributory effect. To that end, properly wearing an N95 respirator mask will potentially reduce the exposure and decrease the overall probability of contracting the virus.

It will not protect completely. The N95 designation means that it removes 95% of the contaminants. Also, as Lo Fi stated, it doesn't protect the eyes from the virus and it may increase the possibility of transferring the virus to ones hands and then potentially to one's respiratory system.

The biggest reason for John Q. Public not wearing N95 respirators is that there is an extreme shortage of masks and medical personnel and othe first responders will make far better use of the supplies at hand. Should supply ever catch up to demand, then by all means, wear a mask if you want.

Hmm, a local brewery here in my city has just started producing face shields for health workers. Essentially the headband frame thing that the clear lens clips into. I guess they have a 3D printer (Prusa) for whatever reason and have built a template which they’re sharing for anyone interested in mobilizing their printers to do the same. Here’s the link if anyone is interested, it was posted on our local news station this morning. The same brewery is also making sanitizer of course, using their 1923 copper still known as “Old George”.

-frank

For the statement of has the quarantine helped in other related deaths. Here in Chicago they said crime rate has dropped 30%. Last I had read was 4 killed 6 shot over this weekend which is down from a average of 10-20 killed on any given weekend. Sadly more are killed by gunshots here in a month than the death count for the virus to date in our city. Keep safe out there.

I know a lot are sewing masks, but a glue gun is a lot easier and used all the time in the costume business. Almost every Mardi Gras costume you see on the floats.....the riders in the parades....is totally hot glued. They hold up good. For a disposable mask....go with a hot glue gun.

Hmm, a local brewery here in my city has just started producing face shields for health workers. Essentially the headband frame thing that the clear lens clips into. I guess they have a 3D printer (Prusa) for whatever reason and have built a template which they’re sharing for anyone interested in mobilizing their printers to do the same. Here’s the link if anyone is interested, it was posted on our local news station this morning.
Thank you Frank, that's precisely the type of information I was seeking . Unfortunately a 3D printer is one item I don't have in my little shop.
I appreciate everyone's responses.
Thanks , Jim

once for a sliver of metal in my eye. If I had the same problem today, I would have my wife stitch me up and I would remove the sliver myself with a strong magnet or drag a Q-tip over it (thats how it's done).
Stay safe guys!

i don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times i got metal in my eyes. in my case it was always a glorified scribe or a drill bit. drill bit is for when you wait too long

I just posted on the "About coronavirus" thread. We can make things and fix things. Little things will come up that we can do. I gave the example of fixing your garden neighbors rototiller. Stay well.

FYI:

If you go out wear a bandana around your nose and mouth to limit what you might exhale onto surfaces or others. Pretty sure we all have some of those in our drawers and it should make a difference if everyone does it. At least it can't hurt, and won't limit the supply for those who really need them.

John

Back