Any ideas of items we can make - to help in the fight against Corona Virus?

Now, travelling, gather group, not wearing mask, not following any warning are the most terrify things. So the cases keep going up. We need to protect ourselves first, so the other was protected by us. Wearing mask please.

Anyone interested in doing things to help needs to watch this. If you are interested in setting up a similar program in your areas they are willing to help you do so.

This is actually serious comment. What do you think using baby diapers inside cloth masks? It absorbs moisture and could have serious fighting chances. Virus may not survive passing through it.

This is actually serious comment. What do you think using baby diapers inside cloth masks? It absorbs moisture and could have serious fighting chances. Virus may not survive passing through it.
I'm sure it would take a little time to get used to the smell. :oops:

Our hospitals put out the call a couple days ago for volunteers to sew scrub caps for the nurses. My family is no stranger to fabrics and sewing going back three generations, so I’m cutting and one of my sisters is sewing.

-frank

E73C858D-87CB-4C4D-A12C-5C864AD6D94B.jpeg

To help speeding up mask productions, what do you think about some not durable mask type, could staple them well, as long as the metal points outward? Not durable meaning those types that are not meant to be heavy duty or re-washable.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:

N95 masks are so named because they filter out 95% of the test particles. Surgical masks stop about 40%. I read an article recently that said most of the ad hoc cloth masks tested stopped 0-10% depending on material (mostly related to thickness).

There is nothing special about diapers, they are thick so probably would stop more than a thin piece of cloth. Also would be very hard to breathe through, and if you aren't restricting air to passing through the diaper then they are doing nothing.

Be aware there are studies which have found the use of cloth masks can increase infection rates. This 2015 study found hospital workers wearing cloth masks had a higher infection rate than the control group who wore masks only as recommended by policy (used dealing with patients who were suspected of cold / flu like illnesses). This study also found most cloth masks only stopped 3% of the test particles.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

The primary reason for suggesting face masks is to help reduce the wearer from spreading illness, they offer almost no protection for the wearer.

This is why there is resistance to requiring masks, they offer a high chance of providing a false sense of safety and can lead to people being less cautious. Your #1 means to stay healthy is to avoid people, be obsessively aware of your hands, what they are touching, and keeping them away from your face and compulsive hand washing.

Also the cheap paper dust masks you see many wearing have no rating, they are considered nuisance dust masks and are probably no more effective than a DIY cloth mask.

Last edited:
N95 masks are so named because they filter out 95% of the test particles. Surgical masks stop about 40%. I read an article recently that said most of the ad hoc cloth masks tested stopped 0-10% depending on material (mostly related to thickness).

There is nothing special about diapers, they are thick so probably would stop more than a thin piece of cloth. Also would be very hard to breathe through, and if you aren't restricting air to passing through the diaper then they are doing nothing.

Be aware there are studies which have found the use of cloth masks can increase infection rates. This 2015 study found hospital workers wearing cloth masks had a higher infection rate than the control group who wore masks only as recommended by policy (used dealing with patients who were suspected of cold / flu like illnesses). This study also found most cloth masks only stopped 3% of the test particles.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

The primary reason for suggesting face masks is to help reduce the wearer from spreading illness, they offer almost no protection for the wearer.

This is why there is resistance to requiring masks, they offer a high chance of providing a false sense of safety and can lead to people being less cautious. Your #1 means to stay healthy is to avoid people, be obsessively aware of your hands, what they are touching, and keeping them away from your face and compulsive hand washing.

Also the cheap paper dust masks you see many wearing have no rating, they are considered nuisance dust masks and are probably no more effective than a DIY cloth mask.
Yes understood. It would be great to have (real) study on it. Not spreading germs is great in itself. Diaper absorbs a lot of moisture. I heard it contains fire retardant. Not sure if safe for human air consumption.
It turns out some states endorse it:

Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Now, the world needs us to stop a while some activities to prevent the spreading of the virus. Protect ourselves, and others.
How Taiwan Rong Fu company has been doing to protect the employees and the business ?

Every morning, the gate guard will check everyone's body temperature, make sure everyone wearing the mask all the time. Reminding everyone to follow the protection rules. Everyone is careful to follow the epidemic prevention regulations, and so our company and factory are operating as usual. The source of supply is also temporarily safe.

Eventually, we fight with the virus, and do our best to protect ourselves, family, others and the company business. Fighting !!!

Nicholas....I really think what you say is the key to stopping this damned virus. Taiwan, Japan, China, and South Korea all made high usage of IR thermometers. Grocery stores had employees out front testing everyone entering the store. America seems to have ignored the fever aspect of this virus.
It’s a no brainer. One infected customer in a grocery store can then infect the employees. Then the grocery employees infect 100’s of customers. I can’t help but wonder why we’re handling this virus so differently than some of the Asian countries which seemed to get a good handle on things without shutting down their economies. I’m at a loss why I haven’t seen a single IR thermometer in anyone’s hands in the USA..... except a couple major airports.

Back