Any ideas on shop wall covering

...in the clean area; I will use "1/4 sanded plywood there and apply some semi-gloss poly., I've got a bunch of Zinser primer and a 5gal bucket of semi-gloss white
[and OSB facing the shop area}

Consider a fire-retardant paint, OSB-side especially. Vertical surfaces of non-fire-retardant material are potentially a fire hazard,
and your addition to the building might not have the same (?'one-hour') rating of the exterior construction (which is a regulatory no-no).
Sanded plywood isn't intended as wall covering, might not have ANY fire rating. The OSB used as building sheathing
could be rated, but a shop-side fire might get scary before the office occupant notices.

[and OSB facing the shop area}

Consider a fire-retardant paint, OSB-side especially. Vertical surfaces of non-fire-retardant material are potentially a fire hazard,
and your addition to the building might not have the same (?'one-hour') rating of the exterior construction (which is a regulatory no-no).
Sanded plywood isn't intended as wall covering, might not have ANY fire rating. The OSB used as building sheathing
could be rated, but a shop-side fire might get scary before the office occupant notices.
[/QUOTE

In checking with the building inspector and the state building code; my shop is a non-commercial, detached accessory structure and not subject to any fire retardant wall covering. If plywood is not intended as a wall covering then why can it be purchased in dozens of colors and finishes at home centers all over the country? Not to mention wainscot, slat board as can solid wood shiplap and similar wood wall paneling.

I did the inside of my "clean" shop (where the lathe and mill live) with OSB and painted it white. It didn't take that much paint and I like the way it looks, sort of like one of those fancy exterior stucco jobs. I like being able to just drive screws into it wherever I want to hang something. Not worried about fire rating, the building is wood exterior clad in vinyl. I live 80 miles north of Paradise, the fire will come from the outside and no drywall will save me. And I HATE drywall!

If plywood is not intended as a wall covering then why can it be purchased in dozens of colors and finishes at home centers all over the country?

Have you looked for the brand on the back of the 'plywood'? There's grades for 30-minute and 90-minute 'fire rated' as well
as a 'fire retardant' type. If there's no construction-code requirement, don't worry about it.

An uncle's restaurant, some decades ago, redid some walls with plywood paneling, then the inspector shut the business
down for a few days. In addition to the brand, he wanted a certificate of compliance,
tracking the batch number back to the factory.

This option is a bit expensive, but it has worked well in our garage. When I insulated the doors I covered the insulation with 1/16" thick plastic paneling. I also used the paneling in areas where the machine tools were originally positioned to keep crud and cutting oil off the walls.

I used this stuff over the drywall. It's been in place over 30 years and is still bright and shiny. We used it in the production rooms of the food manufacturer I worked for. It can be cleaned with soap and water, and even caustic chemicals.

Having said that I moved the machine tools to the basement shop about 20 years ago. The garage was just too expensive to heat in the winter months and the machines started taking up so much space I had to park my truck outside. After a couple seasons of scraping windows and trying to find the truck in a snow drift I moved all the machines downstairs and put the truck back in the garage.

From time to time I still clean oil and crud from projects off the garage walls. Now days the garage acts as a staging and cleaning area for machines before they go into the shop. The walls in the basement shop are bare poured concrete. However almost none of it is exposed to oil or swarf. All except the tiniest areas are covered by shelving or work benches. Very little if anything ever makes it to the walls. The minimum machine distance is probably 6' from any wall and they are positioned so the majority of the swarf goes away from the walls.

If it gets wet where on the inside I have bigger problems. Ive not used it but I assume it would take primer and paint OK
The OSB in my last shop took paint, but some of the chips of wood fall off after painting due to the wetness of the paint.

Where my machine tools are positioned I have the metal siding behind them and it too is very easy to wipe down with a light mix of Simple Green and water. I read about the OSB "sheading" some chips when painted with latex paint. I am fortunate to have the Zinser oil-based primer on hand and my hope is that using that under the latex finish will keep that from happening. (Fingers and toes crossed)

The Plywood is 30-minute fire rating marked according to the product listing and will be nailed to a 2x4 wall with fiberglass insulation. This is fully an interior wall and the building adequately separated from my house. Treated plate and studs 16 on center even though 24 would be allowed. The building really is classified the same as a detached garage or accessory structure. I have multiple fire extinguishers, (twice the size and number) recommended for even a commercial building. The last thing I want is to be in a fire or lose my shop to one. I have smoke detectors (house and shop) that are linked to my phone in the event I'm not around. I do appreciate the concern.

I had a basement shop years ago. My current house has a stairway that is a real challenge to get up and down much less move tools in and out of. The floor looks like it was finished with a roto-tiller and was then painted. I had the floor looked at by several years ago and no one wanted to try and repair it and the cost to replace it and install an exterior stairway was more than adding the shop to the detached garage that needed replacement anyway.

Im looking forward to having a clean space to do design, work on bench projects and continue to pursue metal engraving. I'm not much for being still but man the chronic low back and leg pain, combined with rheumatoid arthritis are kicking my backside. Its difficult to not be able to do things you used to do. Any kind of lifting and prolonged standing are just out of the realm of what I can do so adjusting my activity is the only way to keep sane and get some enjoyment out of the days where I am able to do things. Hopefully, my friend can get the framing up for me in the next few weeks.

I appreciate the help and recommendations.

To whatever interior wall covering you decide, add white pegboard everywhere you can. It allows you to hang whatever you want on the walls.
Randy

Back