Any info on a CH Hanson vise?

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi all,

I saw this vise today in person, but can't think it's worth much without some missing parts.
ch_hanson_vise2.JPG

The moveable jaw is just the little bit on the left end, here:
ch_hanson_vise3.JPG

The seller believes that there are different removeable/replaceable top jaws (pipe jaws , etc.) that straddle the pockets....but of course those are long gone.

My research has turned up nothing.
Anybody used one, seen one or have better internet seach skills that I do?

I did however get an old but functional 10" 3-jaw lathe chuck for $40, and four boring bars for $10 (one Armstrong three home-made).

Thanks!
-brino

Found a few photos. Looks like a fair array of top jaw patterns could be had for different specialties. Haven't dug any date info yet though, I'll check some more. A few different name incarnations -- Hanson, Hanson Towell, Hanson Stowell, so I'm not sure which is correct. Maybe all at different times.

-frank

Looks like some of the attachments were a crank and drill pad for drilling, and a pair of saw filing jaws which I've never seen on a combo vise before!

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    299 KB · Views: 15
Interesting! The basic vise you found looks a lot less crud-rusty than some in the images that francist found. But it's the accessory jaws that make the tool valuable. If you bought this vise, you'd probably also be "buying" a lifelong hobby/search. Depending on the price, it could be lots of fun!

It looks like it could be very handy if you had the different attachments which dont look too difficult to reproduce if the need or desire was there. However im guessing the owner of the striped vise block probably thinks it's worth its weight in gold!

Back