Any Muzzle Loader Buiders Here ??

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Registered
I have received a partially started ,50 cal. Kentucky long rifle I've
got the barrel, stock, and trigger assembly, the barrel has
the breech plug installed and has been glass bedded in the stock
there is no hammer assembly or front sight.
I could use a correspondence mentor if anyone would care to Thanks.. Cliff

Cliff, the hammer is normally a part of the lock, or trigger mechanism as you called it. You can sometimes purchase hammers separately, but not always. If that rifle kit came with a cheap lock, you might want to consider purchasing an entirely different lock. Take a look at the inner surface of the lock plate, and you might find the manufacturer's name stamped there. You have to get a hammer that is of the same brand as the lock or it will not index correctly in relation to the nipple. When that happens, the hammer may not be far enough off of the nipple to be able to cap the gun when it is at half-cock, which is a huge safety concern. This can occur even if you do get the same brand of hammer, as the machining of the parts can result in the index changing a little bit. The better locks are manufactured by L&R, Lyman, and Siler. You can also purchase top-of-the-line locks that are individually crafted by some very fine craftsmen like Jim Chambers or R. E. Davis.

Front and rear sights can be purchased individually, so you should have no trouble finding an adequate front sight, just be sure to measure the front dovetail correctly.

As for a mentor, I have not built an entire muzzleloader from a kit, but I can tell you that I've spent quite a bit of time fixing the little details on both factory and kit guns when they refuse to work properly.

As mentioned, Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) is a good source for parts and components as well as these fine vendors:
October Country http://www.octobercountry.com
Track of the Wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com

Cliff, the hammer is normally a part of the lock, or trigger mechanism as you called it. You can sometimes purchase hammers separately, but not always. If that rifle kit came with a cheap lock, you might want to consider purchasing an entirely different lock. Take a look at the inner surface of the lock plate, and you might find the manufacturer's name stamped there. You have to get a hammer that is of the same brand as the lock or it will not index correctly in relation to the nipple. When that happens, the hammer may not be far enough off of the nipple to be able to cap the gun when it is at half-cock, which is a huge safety concern. This can occur even if you do get the same brand of hammer, as the machining of the parts can result in the index changing a little bit. The better locks are manufactured by L&R, Lyman, and Siler. You can also purchase top-of-the-line locks that are individually crafted by some very fine craftsmen like Jim Chambers or R. E. Davis.

Front and rear sights can be purchased individually, so you should have no trouble finding an adequate front sight, just be sure to measure the front dovetail correctly.

As for a mentor, I have not built an entire muzzleloader from a kit, but I can tell you that I've spent quite a bit of time fixing the little details on both factory and kit guns when they refuse to work properly.

As mentioned, Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) is a good source for parts and components as well as these fine vendors:
October Country http://www.octobercountry.com
Track of the Wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com

Thanks Terry this piece was started by an old friend of my brother who told me built many BP guns and this one was barely started before he passed away
the dovetail for the front/rear sights hasn't been cut yet nor has the fire hole it has just the trigger plate (double set) and no side lock assembly, the barrel and stock is longer than most supposedly custom
made as his goal was to make a long range shooter out of it according to lil' bro
I am leaning toward making an old school hand forged flintlock system for this and am searching for all the info I can find to do this
I am recently retired and need to do something this winter along with my knife forging for variety.
The Mazama Mountain Men organization is a local outfit that I will try to connect with also...again thanks....Cliff

Did a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal. Flintlock a few yrs ago. I recommend looking at one of the muzzleloader forums.

Cliff, that sounds like a good, ambitious project. I do hope that you will show us your progress from time to time!

Built a smokeless ML based on a Savage long action but never a black powder gun.

Back