Any One Building The Pennsy A3 Switcher in 1.5"?

Allan

Active User
Registered
I just picked up a copy of Kozo's A3 switcher book. i would like to build it 1.5" scale and am wondering if others a building one?

If so, what metal are you using for the wheels and drivers? It looks to me like 12L14 is one of the cheapest store bought metals available. And it machines so nice! How would it's wear qualities be?
Al

I just picked up a copy of Kozo's A3 switcher book. i would like to build it 1.5" scale and am wondering if others a building one?

If so, what metal are you using for the wheels and drivers? It looks to me like 12L14 is one of the cheapest store bought metals available. And it machines so nice! How would it's wear qualities be?
Al

I had no idea what you were talking about so I looked it up.:thinking:

If you go here: http://www.phutcheson.net/a3_switcher.htm you'll find photos of the construction of the various parts and details of the materials used.

M

Alot of people have told me to build this a first locomotive. But I havent seen anyone building one lol. But is there a track around your that supports that gauge? When I get all tooled up, I want to get into live steam myself. I am going to build a 20 ton shay. Casting kits can be found at www.ngshay.com Thats what I am "hopefully" going to build. But that locomotive is in 7.5" gauge.

HTH,
Chris

The one thing I would suggest is that his call out for metals, threads, etc are not cast in stone. In other words there is leeway you can work with. You've chosen a LONG time project !
dickr

Oft times have I lusted after Mr Shay's iron steed.
But alas the time and work required do vex me full sore. So I have turned to lesser creations to be as Kozo says, " The first project for the beginner". Yea, there are more formidable projects than this one that I have turned my hand to. But verily, it will be a fight to bring it to completion all the same. But to do nothing would vex me in fuller measure. As Shakespeare said:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

On to the breach!

Al

I ordered some steel to get started. Still need to get the lathe wiring done. My, oh, my, these 1 1/2" scale locos need large chunks of steel.

Al

Back