Any other FRC mentors here?

bfk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

How did your build season go? Recovered yet?

Here's a few minutes of video of the highlights of week six of our build here in Eugene, Oregon.

If you don't know about FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) it's for high school students who are given a description of a game and then have six and half weeks to design, build, and program a robot that on the field can weigh up to 150lbs. It gets very intense. I'm always amazed at how much they can accomplish, despite the distraction of being in school. Matches are played between two alliances of three teams, so there are six robots on the field in each match. It's lots of fun.

Reactions: Z2V
bfk - what team?

They were working on the comp bot right up until bag time. Still lots to do with the practice bot. My daughter graduated three years ago but I still help with training and making parts. Good times.

FRC#971 Spartan Robotics

jbolt, South Eugene Robotics Team, FRC#2521.
We were finished in loads of time. We had more than two minutes to spare, which might be a record for us. Our practice bot is still in need of a few finishing touches. Well, maybe more than a few. My son graduated 5 years ago and I took a year and a half off, but I missed it and went back three years ago.

I think this was the first year they didn't put power to the comp bot before bag time. (Remember the crate ship days?). They will work it out as they always seem to do.

When is your first regional?

We are in the Pacific Northwest District. First district event is Wilsonville on March 8-10. Our second is Lake Oswego on March 29-31. District Champs the following week (fingers crossed). How about you?
We had a fun scrimmage with other teams last Saturday, lots of debugging, but pretty good overall; at least didn't fall over, unlike some. Footage from that is in the video.

It's a really interesting game because it's the first one in a long time where your score is influenced by the actions of the opposing alliance. Strategy, strategy, strategy.

Back