Any recognize this lathe?

tk1971

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Since I recently got my mill, it’s only natural to now look for a lathe.

Anyone recognize this lathe? Supposedly a single phase motor. I don’t see a tailstock chuck nor do I see a tool post. I see a lead screw and the remnants of a belt. I see a set of gears.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1C0FC754-E964-403B-872D-A80B3383453D.jpeg
885FCA85-D2BD-47EB-9318-521B07CF7594.jpeg

Is that lettering cast into the lower crossbar on the leg at the tailstock end? I can't tell for sure, from the picture, but it might be the manufactures name.

I see someone has increased the swing with a grinder. :bawling:

Is that lettering cast into the lower crossbar on the leg at the tailstock end? I can't tell for sure, from the picture, but it might be the manufactures name.

I see someone has increased the swing with a grinder. :bawling:
That’s all the pictures available. Based on this, I get to decide whether of not I go down and check it out in-person. Thanks for your quick response.

Quite historic, what are your needs in a lathe? I wouldn’t be worried about the toolpost or a chuck, rather do you want something more modern that can run higher RPM and has a quick change gear box?

Of course if money is tight this might be the machine for you. But, as someone who owns a 100+ year old Star lathe, and a more modern Taiwan built 12x36 I’d encourage you to keep looking.

John

Thanks for all the quick responses. Based on this, I think I will keep looking.

Cleaned up and refurb'd it would probably throw chips just fine. But I wouldn't pay any more than scrap value prices and I'd have to be looking for a project as much as a usable lathe....

Cleaned up and refurb'd it would probably throw chips just fine. But I wouldn't pay any more than scrap value prices and I'd have to be looking for a project as much as a usable lathe....
So what’ll be scrap value now-a-days when people expect $850 for a Craftsman lathe without any tooling?

Thanks.

So what’ll be scrap value now-a-days when people expect $850 for a Craftsman lathe without any tooling?

Thanks.
Scrap value is whatever they're paying by the pound on any particular day. Other than that, I don't understand what you are asking....unless it's people asking too much for what somethng is. In that case, you just say "no thanks" and move on.....;)

As usual I'm the odd man out once again. If I was in the market and the price was reasonable, I'd at least take a look at it. I've hauled machines home that looked much worse than that and have them up and running in the shop. My latest acquisition was a Baileigh cold saw. It was a nasty looking beast when I started working on it. Now it's in good shape, and a well working machine.

As for old Iron among other things I also have a 1916 Seneca Falls Star #20 lathe. It's WW1 era, but still runs fine. The only drawbacks are the fact that spindle speed is limited to around 700 rpm, and it uses change gears for threading. I've had the machine well over 20 years and made thousands of parts with it. I've even made and threaded several backplates for additional chucks and faceplates, and my machine doesn't even have a thread dial.

If the machine isn't worn beyond use, you think you can repair any known problems, and you can get it for a decent price I would go for it.

Frankly I prefer old iron to the newer imports. Having said that the "new to me" Baileigh saw is in all probability an import. It has a build date of 2011. According to the company they were still built in the US until around 2018. Given the fact that most of the components are Asian I'm not so sure.

Here are a couple pictures of my Seneca Falls machine.

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    551.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00018A.jpg
    DSC00018A.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 39
Back