Any Rhino3D Users Here? Planning to Upgrade to Ver. 6?

MontanaAardvark

Registered
Registered
I've been using Rhino3D since the end days of version 3. I think I started in '05 or '06. It was always a lot of bang for buck, I thought. Maybe that was because I liked the interface and the way it did things.

Now they're working on Version 6 and getting ready to release it. That gives me three things I can do.

The first thing is the easy thing: keep using version 5. I'm relatively good with it; at least for the kinds of things I do the most.

2 and 3 really merge into one: do I buy version 6 or do I switch over to Fusion?

I have Fusion installed, and while I've played with it a bit, I don't really get it. Don't really get the workflow. To just do a little project like I'm working on now would take a few hours in Rhino and a week (?) in Fusion. Another consideration is the CAM aspect. I use Deskproto 5, which is also an old version. While they're at version 6.1, they created several parallel versions at different price points that do many things that my version won't do.

I get the impression from their user forums that Rhino ver. 6 is going to emphasize rendering. That's big for some things (especially stuff like intricate jewelry or consumer items), but not so from me.

So I was wondering if anyone here was using ver. 6? Really, any input would be appreciated.

It looks like Ver 6 upgrade for users of 5 will be around $500. To update both Rhino and Deskproto would easily be $1000. That argues for a k-buck spent on tools or other hardware and learning Fusion. Comments?

What did you decide to do? I have used rhino since v4, the big change in v6 for me was the inclusion of grasshopper.

What did you decide to do? I have used rhino since v4, the big change in v6 for me was the inclusion of grasshopper.

Kind of embarrassed to say I've done nothing. Still running Rhino 5 and Deskproto 5.

I've been working on a flame eater engine from Philip Duclos' book, and all the drawings are in it. I've made a few Rhino models along the way and the bright spot is that I can pretty much always see ways to make things. Quick example - a Rhino render of the cylinder:

Duclos_Cylinder.jpg

I found this pretty easy to do. It was a step-and repeat of making models of the fins out of short cylinders and then combining with "boolean2objects". I started out with cylinders, copied them, and then had something that looked like the cylinder before milling away that flat side - which was also done by booleaning. I have no idea how to do this sort of thing in Fusion.

Since I have all the parts drawings in the book, though, it's easier and more fun to go out into the shop and cut some metal than to sit down with Fusion and try to make sense of it.

I gather you've upgraded to 6? Grasshopper is a better quality rendering engine than the one that did this, right?

neat. Grasshopper is for 'algorithmic modeling'.. you could consider it parametric modeling but using logic blocks that creates the model:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/309763280599887044/

You can create shapes that would otherwise be impractical or impossible .. or just time consuming.

I'm also having a hard time adjusting to fusion360, the parametric modeling is really attractive and I've found the stress analysis useful but the work flow feels very foreign to me compared to rhino.

The rendering engine has also changed, ray-traced rendering is now available in viewport but other than that I have not explored the rendering improvements in v6 example part for my cnc conversion:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I like your drawing of the motor mount, and the render option in the perspective view really shows off the difference between grasshopper and the cartoon-like rendering from Rhino 5.

The standard drafting interface is one of the things I prefer about Rhino. Maybe that's because I took drafting with pencils and paper back in school. I also find Rhino's command line interface where I can enter dimensions or point coordinates very intuitive. Again, maybe that's because of familiarity with other CAD tools I've worked with, or something that makes me think that way. I wasn't in drafting, but sometimes needed to use AutoCAD or whatever they had for us electrical guys.

This might not answer your question directly but maybe get you thinking. I used Rhino up to v4. Basically my first 3D package and having come through the AutoCAD type lineage. I got Rhino on an education version discount so it was a win in that regard. The 2D aspect was familiar & actually more streamlined & intuitive than conventional ACAD-like packages... of which there are many. Then there was this euphoria phase where I was making cool 3D objects, some of them quite complex. I dabbled in T-splines but never quite got the hang of it (in all fairness pursued it). Then I got the opportunity to switch to Solidworks. Yes different stratosphere of cost, but also, corresponding different level of power.

Where to begin...
- Drawings. And I mean real drawings, not glorified screen grabs with a title box; sections, dimensioning, standard views, partial views, scales, dimensions control, tolerance, design tables, exploded views, templates....etc
- Assemblies. This is huge. Now its not just a single part, but marriage of hundreds or thousands of parts. Specifying mates, fits, interaction, motion, extending these to drawings
- Parametric design. I will leave you to delve into this but it is a complete shift away from how the likes of Rhino & similar develop 3D models. Think of it as a history based step-by-step procedure which appears as a tree inside the model. Rhino is completely blind. You send me you file and I have no idea how you got there, or, within reason if its even valid in many dimensional respects. Parametric design is the exact opposite.
- General power. No more failed fillets, open edge surface issues. Higher end modelers have robust code but mostly its the history based workflow that catches issues at a stepwise level before they manifest into bigger problems you have no idea how they culminated into a train wreck.

I could go on. Now I am not suggesting you drop big bucks on Solidworks or Inventor or similar peers in this class. The point is that (from what little I've seen) Fusion is the wannabee in this space at a fraction of the cost, essentially free for hobbyists. yes it has limitations. I'm not sold (or fully understand) the cloud stuff. But its more along the lines of the big boy modelers. Plus has integrated CAM which SW does not. If I had to start in this space again, purely from cost & education effort perspective I would lean towards Fusion.

So I'd encourage you to watch as many freebie YouTube & Tutorial videos, get a feel for underlying workflow & then dig into if & how it makes sense to you. Rhino has its niche place but really not in the mechanical / machinist world IMO. And you may fin dthat all those plug-ins that hundred dollar you to death are basically standard features inside other modellers once you understand the underlying capabilities. It will be a bit of mind shift but you will catch on with any prior cad experience. Sorry don't know much of anything on the CAM side but there are forums & tons of resources & examples in that regard.

The reasons I upgraded was RH5 does not support window scaling for high-DPI screens, the already small icons on a high dpi screen are reduced to a couple of mm, command prompts, popups etc are difficult to read. Also, the new documentation features are nice and really takes drafting to the next level (closer to what you can already do in autocad)

https://www.rhino3d.com/6/new/documentation

here's what's new:

https://www.rhino3d.com/6/new

I didn't upgrade for the raytraced view ports but it turns out I like it more than I thought I would. you can see imperfections in your design easier and without having to necessarily resort to zebra analysis, curve analysis etc.

http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/usersguide/en-us/html/ch-09_curveandsurfaceanalysis.htm

Another viewport mode that is more helpful than the shaded mode. this one is called "arctic" and really shows the surface off:
Capture.PNG

in case you're not familiar with zebra, the stripes move as you rotate around the view port, it's a good way to check your surface:
Capture.PNG

Then I got the opportunity to switch to Solidworks. Yes different stratosphere of cost, but also, corresponding different level of power.

solid works, I would love to use it. They priced it to make sure only people in the industry could afford or justify the exorbitant cost. However, rhino is used in the industrial design and jewelry space - it depends on what you're doing. If you're doing drafting rhino is okay and R6 is better than R5 in this regard, SW for drafting though? I can't imagine I would go that route. AutoCAD would be a better fit if you need all the bells and whistles.

OP mentions he's already using R5 and likes the drafting interface, parametric modeling by comparison may feel pretty clunky if you're used to drafting in R5.

Last edited:
Exactly. Which is why I tried to choose my words carefully.
I am not suggesting you drop big bucks on Solidworks or Inventor or similar peers in this class. The point is that (from what little I've seen) Fusion is the wannabee in this space at a fraction of the cost, essentially free for hobbyists.

In the end, they are tools. They come at varying degrees of cost & functionality. How that matches up with your needs & aspirations drives the decision choice, along with support & PC platform & all the other stuff. Its completely up to you. I don't do jewelry. Advanced rendering beyond the ability to clearly visualize the model is useless to me personally, so my needs are different. But 'free' or whatever the low cost hobbyist subscription level of Fusion is worth a looksee IMO. I mean there is a cost to Rhino too, new or upgrade.

Advanced rendering beyond the ability to clearly visualize the model is useless to me personally, so my needs are different. But 'free' or whatever the low cost hobbyist subscription level of Fusion is worth a looksee IMO. I mean there is a cost to Rhino too, new or upgrade.

True, the free or paid intro package for f360 is pretty amazing for the amount you pay (or don't pay if you meet the requirements)

Back