Any Stirling experts out there? This dog won't hunt.

Thank you very much MarioM ! This is the kind of info I need. I'm working on another engine and I may set it aside and re-visit this Stirling engine.
Dave

Dave, you are very welcome. I would like to see your engine running.......know the feeling of frustration!!!!. Have been looking over the Internet a lot a not many people have built this engine.
Today I got mine out for a check and realized that also put some silicone compound in the gland threads. You engine looks nice.....if you worked with the plans....it should work.

Mario

A while ago I made the very same engine from the same book. It was the first engine I had made. It did not want to run when finished,.......and I was going crazy:banghead:.....but the trouble was friction. Also you have to look for .0005" clearance between piston and cylinder, which is not easy to achieve if you do not have experience.....I had to make two pistons. Also check the clearance between the gland and displacer rod.....the minimum possible.....also made it twice.

After working all friction points it worked nice, but it needs a lot of heat........maybe far to much......but it works. :)) I might go back to it some time and make it look nicer and see if I can make it run with less heat. Hope this helps you....looking forward to see yours running.
Check the video in you tube.

Look great!

Back