Any tips on cleaning... especially the leadscrew?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I can't use the handle on my carriage wheel. I gotta grab the disc part of it and rotate with both hands, so the carriage moves smoothly with minimal stops.

What's the easiest/best way to clean the leadscrew or cleaning the lathe in general? I tried wiping the leadscrew with a rag, but that doesn't do much. I"m thinking of taking it out and spraying it with brake clean.

I take a toothbrush, turn the lathe on and as the leadscrew turns run the tooth brush down it.

You mentioned lead screw, is your lead screw engaged? or are you just using your hand wheel on the carriage? On my lathe at least, there is a gear which engages a rack. When the lead screw is engaged, the screw turns a gear which meshes with the gear that engages the rack.

I wouldn't spray it down with a de-greaser if it was me, and if I was unsure, I would check out the manual to figure out which components were involved and carefully examine and clean just those components.

Edit: I also have a tooth brush or another soft bristled brush. If you're cleaning mating surfaces, be careful, the swarf can scratch the ways etc.

Pcmaker - Generally the carriage is run by a rack gear under the ways, not the lead screw, so gunk there probably isn't the problem. If it has always been tight, look at the gibb adjustment. If it used to be smooth, and changed to tight, then crud is somewhere to change the game. You might look at the screws that hold the carriage together, sometimes they get loose and will change the way things move together. Worst case may be to take to carriage apart to clean everything-take pictures and work slow. It's that spring or the ball detent under the ding valve that you didn't see that will migrate to another dimension that really causes problems. Lead screw hose off with cleaner into a partially wrapped rag works pretty well without taking it apart, at least that's how I have had good luck. Followed by a nylon brush traveling down a spinning screw to get the bottom of the threads.

Greg

Loop a piece of string around the leadscrew and run it very slowly while you hold both ends. Cleans it well. Be careful, don't get tangled in it, make the string very short and hold it with the tips of your fingers for safety. If it gets caught, let go immediately
A brush is probably safer, but I have done the string method and haven't been maimed

With the lead screw disengaged the carriage should move easily with the hand wheel. It sounds as though the gibs are too tight. Here is a link to the LMS min lathe guide it shows how to adjust the gibs:
https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/Info/MiniLatheUsersGuide.pdf

Also the half nuts need to totally disengage the lead screw. If not adjusted properly they can drag on the lead screw.

When I first got my mini lathe I disassembled it and cleaned all the protective grease off with mineral spirits. Then reassembled and checked all adjustments. Many problems were solved before I used it.

Roy

Last edited:
Loop a piece of string around the leadscrew and run it very slowly while you hold both ends. Cleans it well. Be careful, don't get tangled in it, make the string very short and hold it with the tips of your fingers for safety. If it gets caught, let go immediately
A brush is probably safer, but I have done the string method and haven't been maimed
String or small cordage is the classic recommended method, it does work well.

A thick string that just fits in the threads is very good, soak it in kero or diesel, then loop it over once only do not wrap around leadscrew, too much risk of it getting caught. wind saddle all the way to one end. Set lathe running with lead screw engaged and run the string along screw, reverse lathe, repeat until screw is clean, now wind saddle to the other end and repeat. when leadscrew is clean dry it and lubricate with good machine oil.

I have seen lathes where a bristle brush has been mounted over the lead screw on the chuck end of saddle, this will keep the leadscrew clean, just oil it regularly. The brush will need replacing occasionally.

When I first got my mini lathe I disassembled it and cleaned all the protective grease off with mineral spirits. Then reassembled and checked all adjustments. Many problems were solved before I used it.

the lever that engages the half nut is hard to to push or pull.

Back