Any use for an old rusty cast iron surface plate??

Dear John,

I just know I have seen some of your photo's and advice on other boards and we all here are glad you're here. I also believe you buy and sell them too? I have to remind everyone about the managements rule about not discussing sales or prices in the public area's unless you sell in the sales thread, or talk about it via private Email. Asking about the prices in general on what something generally costs is OK. We are just trying to keep this as a "ask and answer board" and not a sales board. If any of you need something I am sure Sidecar will put in his Email here or via private message. :))

I just saw a post in the Bridgeport forum last night when some asked about the spindle bearings where your expertise would be real handy. I have rebuilt a few heads, but I normally sub contract my heads out to another company where the guy used to work at an old Bridgeport distributor. He was a Bridgeport head Tech before Bridgeport shut off several longtime distributors during the Textron era.

Maybe you can tell the group about that sometime. I know I tell folks to stay away from those machines that were built back then as I found them lighter castings and less accurate. Some tell those machines were built in China, but I had heard the castings were imported and assembled in Bridgeport CT? I have worked with Hardinge who bought or merged with Bridgeport.

I have taught scraping in Taiwan where they build some of their CNC Vertical machines. They are also building CNC machine in China too. Most of those machines I bet will be sold in Asia.

Bottom line is WE could use another professional rebuilder on here to help with answers and advice when you have the time. Thanks for coming on board. In John's intro he tells about he also learned to scrape from his Dad as I did too. John would you please tell everyone here about yourself in here too.

I really like this forum as many are so eager to repair there machines. This forum does not allow wise guys like others do. No angry or fowl talk is allowed as we are all trying to be friends and to learn and give. I am 62 now and want to give back and pass on my knowledge about scraping and rebuilding to the younger generation.

I for one welcome you with open arms and so glad you are with this cool group of people. Rich

Back