Any Variable Speed Drive Experts Out There?

I am in the process of restoring an old Powermatic E-16 wood planer. I have run into a problem disassembling the Mills drive. I am hoping someone has done this before or has some diagrams, pictures, etc.

I have removed everything I could, but the shaft has a boss on it, so all the remaining parts have to come off in the other direction. As you can see from the pictures, there are two ears that need to be removed to get the pulleys off. The ears are separate and independent of each other. They move a little bit, but I can't pull them out. I would prefer not to damage anything, but I am running out of alternatives. Evidently, there is some sort of retainer that I don't see. Anybody know how to get this thing apart?

Thanks
Randy

IMG_20181023_154055.jpg

IMG_20181023_154027.jpg

IMG_20181023_154018.jpg

IMG_20181023_154010.jpg

Those ears look to be bronze? I see a setscrew boss in the one pic can you go the long way? I can see their being a setscrew on the shaft that secures the ear.

The ears are steel and I am sure that if I can get one out, I can drive the other with a punch. Here is a picture of a similar setup
http://www.owwm.org/download/file.php?id=218077&mode=view

I am presuming that the ear shafts are both mushroomed. Unless there is an unseen retainer somewhere, those ears should just pull out. I can easily move the ears slightly in an out and rotate them within the slot. But I just can't get enough purchase on them to pull them out. I have a
Vice-grips slide hammer tool, but the Vice-grips just slide off with a couple of impacts.

A little heat in the right places? Try and put nub of ear in vise. Then use the shaft as a handle to pull. Get one out use a punch for the second?

I have a collet type slide hammer for pulling dowel pins and such, which has a much stronger grasp. maybe try a local parts store that has a tool loan program, or if your lathe is running possibly make one. Mike

I have a collet type slide hammer for pulling dowel pins and such, which has a much stronger grasp. maybe try a local parts store that has a tool loan program, or if your lathe is running possibly make one. Mike
The ear is rectangular, at least the part I have to grasp is. So I don't think the collet type will work for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Well I finally got everything disassembled and it was one major night mirror. It seems the shaft was 2 pieces. There was sure no way to tell without a manual. Needless to say, I have a lot of lathe time ahead of me, making new shafts.
Thanks for your inputs.
Randy

IMG_20181026_161039.jpg

IMG_20181026_161127.jpg

IMG_20181026_154508.jpg

Back