Anybody else here sell on Ebay and saw the new international shipping program?

I always wondered how much ebay was charging for shipping internationally. When I sell internationally I'm given an address in Erlanger, KY I send the parts to. Then they forward it to the final destination. They have lost several of my shipments that way. Eventually they refunded the buyer, but after one buyer accused me of scamming him. Ebay did come to my defense in it and removed the negative feedback (in 23 years my only negative feedback ever) and the buyer bought another housing and eventually it was delivered.

I will gladly ship at the best rate I can find, but ebay doesn't have an option for that. And I'm sure that's because they get a percentage of what I charge for shipping.

Ebay also forbids buyers and sellers from sharing contact info before a sale for fear we will make a deal outside eBay and they won't get their cut. Ebay warns you not to do this as it can result in suspension of your account, but occasionally someone sends me their phone number. Usually they bock it from going through to me.

FYI: ebays cut on one of my $400 sales with $25 shipping cost is $53.

I'm a hot rodder that happens to be a machinist or a machinist that's a hot rodder, i haven't figure out which. Either way I like making parts for hot rods and selling to other hot rodders.
I struggled for a long time to be able to get parts for my cars. I just hate seeing other car guys getting screwed over and not be able to pay for parts. I try to make my parts affordable as much as I can and still stay in business and have a few buck left over for my big boy toys..

Most people who want to buy something from me overseas can find my email somewhere or my website so I can ship direct. They pay via a credit card or bank wire transfer, so no refunds.. I stopped accepting pay pal as it is run like eBay. They will refund the money id someone *****es. They believe them and not the seller.

I sell my scraping DVD and a book on eBay and I got sick of foreign buyers saying they never received their orders and eBay believed them and refunded the money. I could show I mailed them but there is no tracking once it leaves the USA. So I stopped selling out of the USA. I PUT in CAPITAL letters NO SALES OUTSIDE THE USA. I never sold many anyway so I think I lost money because of the ones who said they never got them and they pulled the money back out of Pay Pal or their new banking system. Also the eBay mailing system sucks. I'm stuck as eBay is the only way to sell for me. Better than nothing.
You should take a closer look then at the offerings of USPS. They provide options that include tracking. Like I mentioned, most sellers can't be bothered.

I ship from Canada using Canada Post, tracked parcel, all the time, I have never had an issue. Even shipping to Italy, while very slow, works for me selling core memory etc.

I always wondered how much ebay was charging for shipping internationally. When I sell internationally I'm given an address in Erlanger, KY I send the parts to. Then they forward it to the final destination. They have lost several of my shipments that way. Eventually they refunded the buyer, but after one buyer accused me of scamming him. Ebay did come to my defense in it and removed the negative feedback (in 23 years my only negative feedback ever) and the buyer bought another housing and eventually it was delivered.

I will gladly ship at the best rate I can find, but ebay doesn't have an option for that. And I'm sure that's because they get a percentage of what I charge for shipping.

Ebay also forbids buyers and sellers from sharing contact info before a sale for fear we will make a deal outside eBay and they won't get their cut. Ebay warns you not to do this as it can result in suspension of your account, but occasionally someone sends me their phone number. Usually they bock it from going through to me.

FYI: ebays cut on one of my $400 sales with $25 shipping cost is $53.

I'm a hot rodder that happens to be a machinist or a machinist that's a hot rodder, i haven't figure out which. Either way I like making parts for hot rods and selling to other hot rodders.
I struggled for a long time to be able to get parts for my cars. I just hate seeing other car guys getting screwed over and not be able to pay for parts. I try to make my parts affordable as much as I can and still stay in business and have a few buck left over for my big boy toys..
Lol! Pretty much the same reasons I taught myself machining.
Machining isn’t my hobby per se, I machine for my hobby: gearhead.

Averages out to 13% on the bay . Paypal then takes it cut . Now the gobmint takes it's cut . Can't sell anything under $50 . Shipping anything in a small flat rate box is what now , $15 ? Bury the $hit and dig it up if you ever need it . Hobbies are becoming unafordiable . I spend more in deisel to deliver a package to the local PO . The best money I make is scrap . You get it , you haul it , you get paid cash . No haggling , no questions asked .

I

On the ebay.ca site I have a long list of options to pick for setting shipping offers to buyers when I create the listing (buyer can pick the one they want from my selection). And when it comes to time to actually ship, I often also get offered to use FedEx or UPS at a very significant discount. Do you not see more than 1 option for shipping when selling on the US site?

I may have made $1000.00 out of states sales on eBay and so much hassle on a profit of $500.00 if that much. I decided I didn't need the headaches. This is my option, you have yours. I sold 3 books last week and 2 DVD's all to the states. I do sell some items to Australia but the buyers bank wire transfer they money and I send the items to a forwarding company in Seattle. Never had an issue. I sell some products to a fellow in Winnipeg who has a PO box in North Dakota, so he must drive down to the states every couple of weeks and gets his mail and items.

One of the reasons I hate dealing with them. Every so often they throw a new term, condition or rule and then you wind up on the short end of the stick.
My experience is it is impossible to contact Ebay. I got ripped off for $200 several years ago and would you know the Seller was no longer on Ebay and Ebay kept giving me an auto reply to contact the seller and resolve it myself. For several years after that I would not even use Ebay. Now if I do it is with reputable sellers.

On the ebay.ca site I have a long list of options to pick for setting shipping offers to buyers when I create the listing (buyer can pick the one they want from my selection). And when it comes to time to actually ship, I often also get offered to use FedEx or UPS at a very significant discount. Do you not see more than 1 option for shipping when selling on the US site?
I guess I should have explained my answer better. When someone buys through ebay they pay for shipping. I can't see a way of selling the item, and then working out shipping outside of ebay. Especially international shipping.

Yes there are different shipping options available on ebay, but none as inexpensive as shipping directly and not through ebay.

There is a way to contact ebay and have them call you back. It'd not an easy process though. I asked if there was a number I could call and they said they don't do that anymore. When I do get a hold of them I usually get what I want. I've been on there for 23 years now and they listen to me pretty much.

On paypal I got burned only once. In 2008 I sent a guy one of my modified tail housings and he was supposed to send his back. He paid a deposit when I shipped mine and when his came in is was scrap. When I said I'm keeping his deposit paypal gave hm all his money back. That was the first and last time I did exchanges on housings.

When I was building my nova there was a a**hole on the LS forum that did stand alone wire harness conversions and I ent him my harness and ecm. He said it was finished and I paid him and never got my parts back. He said send it friends and family so he could avaiod rhe 3% fee. I added 3% to the total so he would get what we agreed on. I'm glad I did. Lost the harness, computer, and $100 worth of shipping fees on that one. I at least got the money I paid through paypal, Now I have only one supplier I send through friends and family, but we have been doing busing for 5 years and he's never screwed me over.

Just found this.

Last edited:
Back