Anybody Every Heard of Hearn Machine Tools?

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've run across two large drill presses. The tags say 'D.W. Hearn Machine Tools Oklahoma City, Oklahoma'. They are model DTCW. They have 5 hp 3 phase motors to turn the spindle and a 1/4 hp motor that looks to run a power spindle feed. The tables are a bit bigger than two by three feet (I didn't have a tape with me to measure). The machines stand about six and a half feet tall. The tags show speeds from 50 rpm to around 500 rpm. They have been sitting outside unprotected for quite a while and the ways on the column are rusted, but don't appear pitted. They are located in a closed-down recycling yard.

I know they would be major projects to get running again, but my interest is the fact that I've never seen or heard of this brand before. I was curious if anybody here had any knowledge of this company and their products and maybe a rough value estimate if one of these machines was in 'good' condition. In other words, would they be worth taking the time and effort to clean up and make them usable again. I hate to see old American iron discarded and melted if it could be of value to someone. These machines look like they were some very heavy-duty units when they were new.

Sounds like a good score! Might not be too much to get them back in service, I'd go for em.

Thanks for that link. I spent over an hour searching and that link never showed for me. Yep, the heads on the drill presses look just like the ones in the videos. They're even the same color. I may try contacting the company and see if parts are available and how may arms and legs they cost.

Closed down recycling yard? Start 'em off at $50 each. Hey, that's a hundred bucks,

Yeah, and there's a Sears Craftsman horizontal band saw there, too. It actually doesn't look to be in that bad of condition. I may see if I can get them all, if they're cheap enough. All this belongs to the same guy that wants to sell me the Warner and Swayse turret lathe I posted about a few weeks ago.

I contacted the company and actually talked to the founder's grandson. He is still with the company. They moved to Lincoln, Nebraska in 2010 from Oklahoma City. He seemed rather excited when I described the machines to him. He said they have no record of ever having made drill presses. If you watch the videos in the link above, they make a drill mounted on rails that travels in X and Y to drill large structural components. He wants me to get photos and send to him. He thinks these machines were some special order from when his grandfather ran the company. He also said that, from my description, most of the parts for the drill heads should still be available. He said these drills can bore a 1.75 inch hole through 2 inch plate in under 2 minutes with an operator familiar with the equipment.

It will be a few days before I'm back in the area the drills are in. They're about 30 miles from me. I will post pics here when I get them.

Back