Anybody Have An Enco 1005700?

RonRock

Registered
Registered
I have this Enco mill and a couple questions about it.

The quill feed handle will simply pull right off of the shaft. The handle and hub that it rides on are on the shaft and held in position with a keyway and key. The handle is held onto the hub with a C clip that I have removed for the pictures. But I can't for the life of me figure out how they held the hub onto the shaft.

th_20160713_174041_County%20Road%20L34_zpsy1pmvuf9.jpg

th_20160713_174058_County%20Road%20L34_zpsmztv90kq.jpg

th_20160713_174136_County%20Road%20L34_zps9dbxg6cx.jpg

I think I need someone with either the same or a similar mill to help me out here.

That's just a start, I have a couple other questions about this mill but I start another thread.

I have a #100-1527 Enco mill of about 1995 vintage and it has a ball and spring detent thing on it. I suppose it is possible that
the construction has changed over the years and it is entirely possible it was made without any holding device.
Also mine has a small threaded hole down the center of the shaft that has a 7/8 inch or so knurled washer keeping
the whole assembly at bay. Is there a small threaded hole in the center of the shaft? It would be easy to fabricate up
something if it doesn't.

The ball and detent thing is to allow a comfortable positioning of the pull handle. I have since made a triple pull handle similar to
what one might find on a drill press.

Last edited:
You may be missing a piece that bolts on using the two threaded holes behind the handle hub. Could you post a photo of the back side of that handle hub, the side toward the head?

Edit: Also, what is currently keeping the hub from rotating freely on the shaft?

All of the ones that I have seen have the end of the shaft threaded and the hub is held on with a screw in the end. Maybe yours uses a set screw to hold the hub to the shaft?

Thanks guys. A little late in my reply, my computer took a dump on me and I have been distracted. Still not up and running as it should but I had to check in.

There is a dimple on the end of the shaft that I thought may be threaded. I cleaned it out and it seems to be just a center point for turning during manufacture.

The hub slides onto the shaft and has a keyway that keeps the hub located on the shaft. The handle slides onto the hub and has a pin that allows for the handle position adjustment. There is a C clip on the end of the hub that keeps the handle from coming completely off of the hub.

Bob Korves, You may be right about a missing piece behind the hub. If you look closely at the photos you can see two threaded holes in the hub. So maybe something would be positioned behind the flange on the hub and then screwed into the hub flange through these two threaded holes. That is a possibility, but that would be backwords from how it should have been designed. That would require the screws to be threaded through the hub then into the "holding plate."

There is a hole on the outer end of the hub that is curious. Seems like there must be something that uses that hole to hold the hub on. But as I said I am at a loss.

Thanks guys. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow.

I have this Enco mill and a couple questions about it.

The quill feed handle will simply pull right off of the shaft. The handle and hub that it rides on are on the shaft and held in position with a keyway and key. The handle is held onto the hub with a C clip that I have removed for the pictures. But I can't for the life of me figure out how they held the hub onto the shaft.

View attachment 186857

View attachment 186858

View attachment 186860

I think I need someone with either the same or a similar mill to help me out here.

That's just a start, I have a couple other questions about this mill but I start another thread.
Isn't there a set screw in the side of the hub holding it to the shaft? I just picked up a similar machine and was messing around with it earlier. It has a broken clock spring and I pulled the handle and hub off too get to it. Mine has a small bolt and washer to hold the handle on. The hub had a set screw.

Thanks Chuck K, it has been a while since I looked it over so I will take another close look. Could I ask you to take some pictures of what your machine has? Is your Enco the same model as mine? I have a couple other "issues" with mine and have not had any luck finding any parts or anyone with the same unit to assist me with what my machine is missing.

I'd certainly be as helpful as I can with any questions you may have with your machine. I'm sure that these mills are out there, but for some reason nobody wants to talk about them.

Lol.....nobody wants to talk about them. Mine is missing the power feed on the table and the y axis scale. I'll try to get some pics of it.

So it turns out that mine is a different model than yours....100-1598. If you look at the pic of the collar with the clock spring in it you can see the divot where the set screw seats. I also took a pic showing the threaded hole in the casting where I removed the set screw. Two things surprised me about this mill. It weighs 2520 lbs. and has a top speed of 4800.20170418_172056.jpg 20170418_172056.jpg

20170418_172123.jpg

20170418_172253.jpg

20170418_172329.jpg

20170418_172156.jpg

Bummer! That is close but completely different.

I did take another look at mine today. There is a hole in the hub, but it is not threaded. It is far enough outside on the hub that it would miss the shaft if it has threaded anyway. The shaft that the hub is keyed to has a center drill but it not threaded looks like it was centered for lathe or mill work during manufacture.

I've looked this thing over and over and for the life of me I can't figure out how they designed it to hold the hub to the shaft. Shouldn't be this hard to figure out.

Back