Anybody heard of 'Webb' mills?

tjb

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with Webb milling machines? I can't find any product reviews on-line. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Terry

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yes , we had them in my first workplace . Ours were very heavy duty mills !

tjb

H-M Platinum Supporter
Yes , we had them in my first workplace . Ours were very heavy duty mills !
Thanks.

How long ago was that and what do you recall their year models?

I have access to one at what appears to be a very good price. It looks good from the pix, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm trying to get a little more information from the owner, such as year model, accessories, etc. Do you have any idea where they're manufactured. I saw something on the internet that said Taiwan, but the older ones may have been manufactured in the US. I think I saw something on a 1987 machine that was manufactured here.

Can you recall any inherent problems with the ones you used? Any opinion on how they compare to Bridgeport?

Thanks for responding.

4ssss

Registered
Registered
Webb lathes were mad in Taiwan, and they had some clones. I worked on a Cadillac Lathe, one of their clones and it was the best lathe that I have ever ran.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
We had a Webb lathe in our prototype shop . Had a 6" spindle bore ! I turned up many a big gun barrels in it . It was a very nice lathe that would pull a big chip ! I do remember that the carriage wheel and feed handles were reversed from any other lathe I've ever seen , so it took awhile to get used to that . Other than that , sweet machine .

Reactions: tjb

tjb

H-M Platinum Supporter
We had a Webb lathe in our prototype shop . Had a 6" spindle bore ! I turned up many a big gun barrels in it . It was a very nice lathe that would pull a big chip ! I do remember that the carriage wheel and feed handles were reversed from any other lathe I've ever seen , so it took awhile to get used to that . Other than that , sweet machine .
Thanks,

I think I'm going to look into this mill.

Regards,
Terry

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Webb lathes were mad in Taiwan, and they had some clones. I worked on a Cadillac Lathe, one of their clones and it was the best lathe that I have ever ran.
I was at a fellow Hobbiest' shop last month. He had a Cadillac Lathe.
VERY NICE LATHE!

tjb

H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks to all who replied. The good news: Seems to be unanimous that Webb's are VERY good mahcines. The bad news: I looked into this specific machine and, apparently, it's been rode hard and put up wet. Too many uncertainties, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for all the info.

Regards,
Terry

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock