Anybody heard of 'Webb' mills?

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Does anyone have any experience with Webb milling machines? I can't find any product reviews on-line. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Terry

Yes , we had them in my first workplace . Ours were very heavy duty mills !

Yes , we had them in my first workplace . Ours were very heavy duty mills !
Thanks.

How long ago was that and what do you recall their year models?

I have access to one at what appears to be a very good price. It looks good from the pix, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm trying to get a little more information from the owner, such as year model, accessories, etc. Do you have any idea where they're manufactured. I saw something on the internet that said Taiwan, but the older ones may have been manufactured in the US. I think I saw something on a 1987 machine that was manufactured here.

Can you recall any inherent problems with the ones you used? Any opinion on how they compare to Bridgeport?

Thanks for responding.

Webb lathes were mad in Taiwan, and they had some clones. I worked on a Cadillac Lathe, one of their clones and it was the best lathe that I have ever ran.

Webb mills (and lathes) are made by Topwell in Taiwan. My mill is the same as a Webb, just a different badge on it, Eagle. Has been a good machine, high quality. I think mine is about an '87 or so.

We had a Webb lathe in our prototype shop . Had a 6" spindle bore ! I turned up many a big gun barrels in it . It was a very nice lathe that would pull a big chip ! I do remember that the carriage wheel and feed handles were reversed from any other lathe I've ever seen , so it took awhile to get used to that . Other than that , sweet machine .

Reactions: tjb
We had a Webb lathe in our prototype shop . Had a 6" spindle bore ! I turned up many a big gun barrels in it . It was a very nice lathe that would pull a big chip ! I do remember that the carriage wheel and feed handles were reversed from any other lathe I've ever seen , so it took awhile to get used to that . Other than that , sweet machine .
Thanks,

I think I'm going to look into this mill.

Regards,
Terry

Back