Anybody here have a Model K?

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just bought a 16x54 and wanted to ask the general questions about it.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a steady rest. Anybody got one or a lead on one that will fit it? No luck on E-bay so far.

Very similar to a 15" Monarch that I used to have the pleasure of using. I don't know what it's official model designation was, but it was built in the 1970's and I've never seen another one like it. It was a very robust machine and when I heard what it sold for when the company had auction I just about cried. $1200 was a steal. It's only drawback was that it still had the old vacuum tube variable speed control. It worked great most of the time, but was a real pain for our electrician when it decided to go on the fritz.

So what questions do you have??

Unfortunately no taper attachment.

My next lathe will have a Taper attachment
If you want to cut any pipe threads you are going to need a taper attachment

Is that a four jaw chuck or is it a three jaw chuck
You are going to need a four jaw chuck
If I could only have one chuck
It would be the four jaw independent chuck

Nice LATHE, keep looking there lots of steady rest all over. Just post your dimensions , ill look . I've seen a few near me that look big enough. As for needing a taper attachment to cut pipe threads, iv cut thousands of them with out one. There are ways to cut them.. You just have to figure it out. Ill tell you if you can't.
Your lathe is my envy, I wish I could get one in the 13" + 15" x 48" war era for me. She looks good tho , take care of her.

Is that a four jaw chuck or is it a three jaw chuck
You are going to need a four jaw chuck
If I could only have one chuck
It would be the four jaw independent chuck
It came with a 12" 3 jaw. I bought a 10" 4 jaw for it.

Back