[4]

Anybody know anything about a Benchmaster horizontal milling machine?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pops

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
My son called this morning and told me his company was scrapping a Benchmaster mill. Needless to say it is now in my garage. Needs a lot of cleaning but the price was right.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Pops, you have been around here long enough to know

:worthless:

Congratulations on your new toy.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Need a serial number as there was a bad run that got out. It was a weak casting on the top holding the overarm. As Jim said, a picture would help.

"Billy G"

Pops

Active User
Am planning on getting some pics. Right now the machine is buried under 40 years of junk. I guess the previous owned of this building was a hoarder. There's also a 10" South Bend, a Jet 1240, a Big Joe milling machine. (Looks like a Bridgeport clown) and a Warner Swasey turret lathe. I did get the model number and serial number on the turret lathe. Model is M-2700. Serial is 1727834. The owner wants this one gone too. Wants me to clean the smaller lathes and get them working. Gotta dig them out first.

Bill C.

Active User
Registered

Pops

Active User
Bill,
Yes, that does look like it. Except no where near as clean as yours. The motor is not mounted but I can see from your pics how to hook it up. Back in the 60s I had a little horizontal mill like this and used it all the time.
Made a mistake in a earlier post saying it was in my garage. Thought my son was bringing it but found out later we have to dig it out first. Found out the table is 6" X 18". Try and get it and some other stuff out of there this week.

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
I have one and know a bit. Nice little machine to have around.
-Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pops

Active User
Ryan
Have any pictures of it? Especially the motor area.
Thanks
Barry

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Anything more or different than what's in this album and I'll have to go take another shot or three. No trouble, though. I'll be out there working tomorrow if nothing unexpected happens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/smudgemo/sets/72157632757838272/

There appears to have been some sort of tab on the base that has broken off, but the platform is (at least now) still held by two bolts. The VFD is sweet because belt changes are not fast.

I also have a bit of documentation from the manufacturer, but I might have downloaded it from this website.

-Ryan

Bishop

Active User
Registered
I have one as well, great little machine. My only complaint would be that it spins a little fast for cutting steel. I plan to put a 3 phase motor and VFD on mine so I can slow it down a bit.

Shawn

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
My son called this morning and told me his company was scrapping a Benchmaster mill. Needless to say it is now in my garage. Needs a lot of cleaning but the price was right.
Good score!
Right now the machine is buried under 40 years of junk......
Man you sure pile up junk fast!

Cheers Phil

Pops

Active User
image.jpg Ok. Picked up the little milling machine this morning. Had to get it out of a building upstairs. We had several ropes hooked to it. Told my sons they better not drop it. Luckily they didn't. Had to take it apart to move it. There's another shaft with it that I'm not to sure how it hooks up but looks like it makes it into a vertical mill. Have to do some "wife duties" tomorrow so it may be a few days till I can figure it out.
Still trying to get photos to load. Took several of our adventure today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg One shot is the spot it has rested in for 30 years. We got it down and one pic is the mill in my shop. Pics are a little mixed up but I finally after three hours figured out how to get them to load.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Millbo

Active User
Registered
Great Score!!!
Looks like you got the vertical head attachment with that deal to boot.
I love seeing a vintage machine rescued.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
Nice find! Look forward to seeing what you do to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pops

Active User
I've got a nice vertical knee mill so I decided to list this one on eBay. Don't really have the room in my shop for it. Wish I did. It's a nice little mill. Right now I have some tractor front axles to repair. Don't think that machine would handle it. Have several pics of it on eBay the way it looks after the restoration process was complete. Only been on there a day and already have 98 watchers.

[6]
[5] [7]