Anybody know anything about a Benchmaster horizontal milling machine?

Pops

Active User
Registered
My son called this morning and told me his company was scrapping a Benchmaster mill. Needless to say it is now in my garage. Needs a lot of cleaning but the price was right.

Pops, you have been around here long enough to know

:worthless:

Congratulations on your new toy.

Need a serial number as there was a bad run that got out. It was a weak casting on the top holding the overarm. As Jim said, a picture would help.

"Billy G"

Am planning on getting some pics. Right now the machine is buried under 40 years of junk. I guess the previous owned of this building was a hoarder. There's also a 10" South Bend, a Jet 1240, a Big Joe milling machine. (Looks like a Bridgeport clown) and a Warner Swasey turret lathe. I did get the model number and serial number on the turret lathe. Model is M-2700. Serial is 1727834. The owner wants this one gone too. Wants me to clean the smaller lathes and get them working. Gotta dig them out first.

Bill,
Yes, that does look like it. Except no where near as clean as yours. The motor is not mounted but I can see from your pics how to hook it up. Back in the 60s I had a little horizontal mill like this and used it all the time.
Made a mistake in a earlier post saying it was in my garage. Thought my son was bringing it but found out later we have to dig it out first. Found out the table is 6" X 18". Try and get it and some other stuff out of there this week.

I have one and know a bit. Nice little machine to have around.
-Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan
Have any pictures of it? Especially the motor area.
Thanks
Barry

Anything more or different than what's in this album and I'll have to go take another shot or three. No trouble, though. I'll be out there working tomorrow if nothing unexpected happens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/smudgemo/sets/72157632757838272/

There appears to have been some sort of tab on the base that has broken off, but the platform is (at least now) still held by two bolts. The VFD is sweet because belt changes are not fast.

I also have a bit of documentation from the manufacturer, but I might have downloaded it from this website.

-Ryan

I have one as well, great little machine. My only complaint would be that it spins a little fast for cutting steel. I plan to put a 3 phase motor and VFD on mine so I can slow it down a bit.

Shawn

Back