Anybody like manual machining? Possible job opening.

dkemppai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,

My day job is for a small high tech company that's been in business for 32 years in the western end of the UP of Michigan. We are looking for people interested in operating manual mills, 2 axis conversational CNC mills, and possibly a 3 axis CNC or machining center, as well as a manual lathe. (Basically all of the machinery you see on this forum!). Everything we do is custom work. Very much a prototype shop. Quality is valued over speed.

The machining supports our designs and adding those to existing hardware. Typically we take a customer supplied part, modify it and add our hardware. A normal day would include working closely with individuals engineering the design and others installing the hardware. In this environment group brainstorming with others is important, and being able to give input to improve designs is considered very valuable.

Most of the work would be in front of a Bridgeport class machine working on coffee cup to coffee can size parts. Typical work would involve making small fixtures to mount parts, mill and drill the parts, and modify screws or other hardware for use in the design. Work may include making small parts from 2024 or 7075 grades of aluminum, some steel, and occasionally exotics like titanium and rarely materials like inconel.

2D/3D CAD/CAM would be a plus, but is NOT required. Often times we are working with parts with no drawings or models. Other times we may only have 3D models or drawings to work from.

Basically we have a couple of machinists who are planning on retiring, and we would like to find one or two individuals to work with these individuals before they go.

If you have any questions regarding the position, please PM me and we can exchange contact information.

Thanks,
Dan

Sounds like a dream job to an aspiring machinist anywhere

That sounds perfect. Unfortunately I am in Cali and will be out a job come July. The company is closing our facilities in California. Moving things to Texas and Wisconsin. I have been there 19 years come June. I do Prototype Machining.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Sounds like a dream job to an aspiring machinist anywhere
I agree . :encourage: Small prototype shop working with engineers . Any members on here close by ?

It sounds like an interesting job. I did prototype work for the first 10 years I worked for the company I retired from. Unfortunately, the job is about 5 1/2 hours north of us. The wife loves where we're living and it's just a little too far away for a daily commute.

We've vacationed in our motorhome in the UP many times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I can interest the wife in buying a "vacation home" in your area. Then it would be a simple matter of telling her I need to go to coffee with the boys every morning. The tough part would be explaining why I was gone all day every day. My plan may need a little more thought.

It sounds perfect, near like what I left in South Carolina. It's 5 hours north of me, though.
I've been in shops for 47 years, since moving to Ohio(to be closer to my aging parents) it's been tough to find a job.
Well, I'm not taking entry level pay. One boss would say, Ask Scott what time it is, and he'll make you a watch.
I don't understand, companys crying for help and nothing.

Sound like a lot of you guys are retired. Honestly, it was a concern on this forum. But never hurts to get the word out, there is bound to be a few younger guys like me here too...

Back