Anybody need VN ‘C’ collets or arbors?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello All,

Iam thinking of making a production run of new VN ‘C’ collets and arbors in the next couple of weeks. So would like to know if anybody wants or needs these, aside from me...

These would be aerospace tolerances and likely made with 4140 to impart a reasonable degree of hardness for hobby use.

Please let me know what size and quantity are most needed, here or via PM, if you have an interest.

I should have some idea of cost and deliver schedule by end of next week. I’ll get back to you soon as costing and schedule become more clear.

Thanks much,
Glenn

I am interested Glenn. What sizes do you intend? What is the ballpark for a complete set?

I have an interest. Let me know when you have pricing.
Thanks,
Greg

Hello All,

Still awaiting a reply from the shop regarding cost estimates. Hoping to have a follow up conversation with estimate in hand by end of week, or early next.

Sizes, are what ever you need, from 1/8” diameter to 5/8”. The VN collet body OD dimension is fairly small, around 1”, (from memory - Iam traveling today, don’t have the drawing at hand), hence they only made up to 5/8” ID collets for VN 12 Vertical Milling. On my personal Milling machines I use mostly 5/16”, 3/8”, and 1/2” (and 7/8” on another mill). However it’s no big deal to make a complete fractional set in 1/16th’s from 1/8 to 5/8”. (Or a sub set) Once the collets are cut, they each get drilled, bored and reamed to the needed size.

Of course it is possible to make tool holders with the proprietary VN collet structure. These would accept larger diameter end mills, up to 1”. However, this decreases the mill’s vertical clearance by 2” or so. The larger size end mills are held in a 2-3” boss that’s formed on the end of the VN collet structure. So that’s an individual call, depending on the useful range of vertical clearance you can live width.

I think a better set up for the VN 12 or 16 is to go Horizontal Milling mode for anything larger than 5/8” end mills, using shell or slab cutters mounted on 3/4”, 1”, or 1 1/4” arbors. Hence making up some arbors- probably 1” diameter and 1.250” diameter would enable a wide range of larger milling options. 3/4”cutters are very rare these days, but 1 1/4” seem quite common on eBay. VN originally offered 3/4” and 1” arbors- nothing in 1 1/4”. But the industry has progressed since then. Hence my interest in retooling to 1 1/4” arbor shank size.

NOTE: Horizntal Milling also requires an overarm arbor support- another quest entirely. I will likely make up a pattern and cast several support arms, as I don’t have the overarm support for my VN. But hesitate to put that out there as a part offering until/unless I have one or more actual castings in hand, and do a proper set of tests to verify usability.

Hopefully, I can answer about price and production schedule by end of the week.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I may be interested in the following sizes so I can hold a variety of drill sizes without needing a drill chuck (which decreases room in vertical and horizontal orientation):

7/32
11/32
13/32
15/32
17/32

If the cost is higher than the current units on eBay, I will pass on the offer.

Manderioli,

I think 32” can be done in the specific sizes you mentioned. Yes, Iam trying to hold costs under the EBay pricing - which are all used collets of unknown tolerance in their old age.

Glenn

Glenn,

Good job taking this on!

A minor point of clarification: Van Norman did offer 1-1/4" 'C'-shank arbors for the No. 16, but not the No. 6/12. The No. 16 arbors have the same 'C'-shank, but the outboard end has a 23/32" pilot to run in the No. 16's live arbor support. No. 6/12 arbors have a large female center to work the dead-centers on the No. 6/12 overarm supports. There should be no reason the shop can't make either type of horizontal arbor.

If I were going to make overarm supports brackets, I would make them up with a ball-bearing support (a la the No. 16) and fabricate them from a stack of laser cut plates.

Thanks Cal,

Any chance you could direct me to a dimensional drawing of the overarm support? I do have access to laser cut and water jet machines, but would need to give them a CAD file at least to work with. Or aLternatively, make up a wood patten and send off to the foundry.

Also, a pic of the model 16 support live center end would help me visualize better how the 16 was constructed, and see any small differences from the 12. I am familiar with the 12, but never really looked at a 16 closeup.

Much appreciated!
Glenn

Thanks Cal,

Any chance you could direct me to a dimensional drawing of the overarm support? I do have access to laser cut and water jet machines, but would need to give them a CAD file at least to work with. Or aLternatively, make up a wood patten and send off to the foundry.

Also, a pic of the model 16 support live center end would help me visualize better how the 16 was constructed, and see any small differences from the 12. I am familiar with the 12, but never really looked at a 16 closeup.

Much appreciated!
Glenn
Here's a couple of pics of my No. 16, showing the overarm arbor support:
IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6965.jpg
It has a one-shot oiling system, but I think sealed bearings would be the way to go. Mine is made of cast aluminum. As you can see, it would be possible to make up something similar from a stack of plates.

Back