Anybody need VN ‘C’ collets or arbors?

I would also be interested in the larger size collets if the price is not too steep.

Thanks for researching this

John In Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to say also interested in the 1.25 arbor.

John. Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update. I spoke with the shop owner yesterday. He is slammed with a couple of rush orders, so says at least end of next week to work up a quote and possible production schedule.

I’ll post costing soon as I hear something.

John, et al, i am planning 1.25” diameter arbors also, so no problem, so far.

Glenn

Last edited:
Hi Glenn,
I spoke with Hardinge. They can do thru hole sizes up to 1 inch round diameter in the VN 2 size (Hardinge 50v). Would be interested if your shop contact can do the same.

GI-984,

I’ll a little disappointed that my shop contact has not responded to my request. I would say, for your needs, they would probably require a minimum production run of 100 or more collets, as most of their cost and time is in the CAD work and set up. However, I will certainly send a follow up email and ask.

Glenn

Glenn,
Harding did tell me they didn't have a minimum production number on collets. But the price would of course go down depending on how many.
Customer service number is 1-800-843-8801.

Hello All,

Sorry to say the shop I was talking to has disappeared on me. So no updates, and unless I can resurrect some serious interest in doing the work with someone else, not much chance of making these. It shouldn’t be this hard to do. However, apprently the contract shops around the PNW are heavily scheduled, so aren’t to interested in small, specialized jobs.

I’ll make another run at it, and If this changes, I’ll jump on it and post an update.

Glenn

Well, I now have a 7 1/2 dividing head & the universal high speed sub head. Both take the Van Norman 'C' collets. I really wanted to avoid yet another collet collection back when it was just the divider & bought a chuck to fit it. Now I have to have 'C' collets for my sub head. So I bought this assortment.

25.jpg

From what I can tell, these were used by a watchmaker on a small VN lathe. But the measurements are correct. I paid, including shipping $18 ea for them or about 1/2 of what the individuals (that don't sell) on ebay are offered at. I just can't see any shop in the US offering these hardened & ground to size for this price.

Back