Anyone Else Bought A G9742 Bandsaw

I just got one for Christmas this year. After doing some adjustments, I was able to get it to cut true, which is the reason I bought it to begin with. I had read that some people had problems with the auto shut off. After a bit of adjustment while doing test cuts, mine works fine. I haven't cut much with it, but it seems to do a fine job. There are two things I have found that I don't like about it. One is the pointer for the angle adjustment. It has a fat point that hangs in the air 1/8" or more above the lines that it is supposed to be pointing to, making repeat settings difficult. I will likely make a better replacement for it. The other is the belt cover. It's a cheap plastic part with the "hinges" molded in, and they will likely break at some point. The other problem is the latch, which doesn't like up well and is difficult to close. Overall, not a bad machine considering its cost and origins.

The other is the belt cover. It's a cheap plastic part with the "hinges" molded in, and they will likely break at some point. The other problem is the latch, which doesn't like up well and is difficult to close.
My belt cover has survived 9.5 years intact... but then I always just leave it on the lowest speed, and let it take its time. A couple weeks ago I let it gnaw its way through 4" stainless solid rod. Thought it would be problematic without coolant, but it just happily cut its way through it without stopping or needing any babysitting. Took a while...

Back