Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My humble contribution:

wachuko

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
This can certainly become addictive...

After printing this mount I came across a thread on a related topic and this is not something recommended as the dremel is not rigid enough for any serious work... so maybe this never gets used, but I had already made it so had to share it here...

IMG_3019.jpeg

Printed a few more mounts, and now I have enough mounts for all the tool holders that I currently have... Now to install on the bench...

IMG_3021.jpeg

Just for fun

Tim Young
That 3D printer stuff looks pretty cool. I don't know anything about 3D printers. What is a good middle of the road unit to start with? Are there lots of different plastics to use? What are you guys using to make the tool holders?

Tim

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
I tend to print exclusively with PETG - it’s strong and UV resistant, unlike PLA. You do need a heated bed for it though.

jwmelvin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I also use petg unless I want better stiffness.

wachuko

When I started, only had ABS and PLA to play with... now there are many, many different filaments that you can use... so I am finishing all those rolls before I order anything else...:D

Also, many printers available now that you can start with for less than 200.00... mine is a very old one and limited to a print size of 6"x6"x6"

For example... here is one with a print size of 11.8"x11.8"x15.7" : https://www.ebay.com/itm/393649643299?hash=item5ba758df23:g:B58AAOSwGuBhdv6I

So tempted to get another one only to be able to print larger parts...

Last edited:

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I didn't know anything about 3d printers and from learning about people's frustration with them (constantly having to adjust this or that) I went with a Creality CR-6se from Tiny Machines in Houston. It came all set up from them and tested, just basically plugged it in and started printing. No problems at all for over 1 year. But, I have a still a lot to learn about the slicer and the different filaments.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock