Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

My son made me some of the AXA holders.. at first I like them, but now... well, I don't like having to have so many on the right side.
I may go back to angle... I like my tips up so I don't drag or hit anything. I don't use many LH tools,
The R8 rack was nice, as well as the center /chuck.

I think the taps can be done like Mr. Pete. I saw his rack years ago, and I gotta tell ya, I love it.
it makes so much sense having your most frequently used taps, setup like that.

tap drill, spiral tap, bottom tap, clearance hole drill...
You might want to do one of them...
I made mine out of plastic from a corporate desk thing, I got in a box of raw material.

you could probably do a much better job with the index.
20200410_211120.jpg20200410_211134.jpg

Last edited:
My son made me some of the AXA holders.. at first I like them, but now... well, I don't like having to have so many on the right side.
I may go back to angle... I like my tips up so I don't drag or hit anything. I don't use many RH tools,
The R8 rack was nice, as well as the center /chuck.

I think the taps can be done like Mr. Pete. I saw his rack years ago, and I gotta tell ya, I love it.
it makes so much sense having your most frequently used taps, setup like that.

tap drill, spiral tap, bottom tap, clearance hole drill...
You might want to do one of them...
I made mine out of plastic from a corporate desk thing, I got in a box of raw material.

you could probably do a much better job with the index.
View attachment 381988View attachment 381989

I think I will do that. A few months ago I was working on my VFD control panel when I noticed a smell of something burning. I had bumped the cord to my soldering iron, and it melted it's way into my tap index.

Yup, I'm gonna go work on a replacement.

It looks like your set up with 4 holes per size? My commonly used tap sizes consist of about 20 sizes. An 80 hole index will be big, probably bigger than the table on my Flashforge Creator pro.

I'll sketch on it a bit and see how small I can make an index with 4 holes per size and 20 sizes.

Last edited:
I have the 80/20… and was looking at what David had done…. This is easier. Will download the files and start printing. Thank you!

I think I will do that. A few months ago I was working on my VFD control panel when I noticed a smell of something burning. I had bumped the cord to my soldering iron, and it melted it's way into my tap index.

Yup, I'm gonna go work on a replacement.

It looks like your set up with 4 holes per size? My commonly used tap sizes consist of about 20 sizes. An 80 hole index will be big, probably bigger than the table on my Flashforge Creator pro.

I'll sketch on it a bit and see how small I can make an index with 4 holes per size and 20 sizes.
I think you missed the point of what I was doing.
it's for taps, and their accompanying drills.. not a drill index.

Back