Anyone else get carried away with 3d printed tool storage?

My humble contribution:

This can certainly become addictive...

After printing this mount I came across a thread on a related topic and this is not something recommended as the dremel is not rigid enough for any serious work... so maybe this never gets used, but I had already made it so had to share it here...

IMG_3019.jpeg

Printed a few more mounts, and now I have enough mounts for all the tool holders that I currently have... Now to install on the bench...

IMG_3021.jpeg

That 3D printer stuff looks pretty cool. I don't know anything about 3D printers. What is a good middle of the road unit to start with? Are there lots of different plastics to use? What are you guys using to make the tool holders?

Tim

I tend to print exclusively with PETG - it’s strong and UV resistant, unlike PLA. You do need a heated bed for it though.

I also use petg unless I want better stiffness.

When I started, only had ABS and PLA to play with... now there are many, many different filaments that you can use... so I am finishing all those rolls before I order anything else...:D

Also, many printers available now that you can start with for less than 200.00... mine is a very old one and limited to a print size of 6"x6"x6"

For example... here is one with a print size of 11.8"x11.8"x15.7" : https://www.ebay.com/itm/393649643299?hash=item5ba758df23:g:B58AAOSwGuBhdv6I

So tempted to get another one only to be able to print larger parts...

Last edited:
I didn't know anything about 3d printers and from learning about people's frustration with them (constantly having to adjust this or that) I went with a Creality CR-6se from Tiny Machines in Houston. It came all set up from them and tested, just basically plugged it in and started printing. No problems at all for over 1 year. But, I have a still a lot to learn about the slicer and the different filaments.

Back